Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Full of symbols?  (Read 6953 times)

Midlander

• View Profile
Full of symbols?
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
Hi Tony, last night I had a dream that was so full of symbols that I am tempted to read as classic but would like your view on it if you have time.

The setting: my church (a modern, warm building - not trad at all)
The characters: a man I know in waking life and with whom I would possibly be interested in having a relationship with. Three women. Me, a female friend (possibly about my own age) and a young girl/young woman - probably late teens or early twenties. (Immediately I can't help thinking female trinities and 3 stages of me).

The man has had a relationship with my friend - but she tells me about a conversation she started while they were having sex and he dropped out of the relationship. I can see why he did this - the conversation was completely inappropriate for the occasion. (In waking I can't remember the contents of the conversation). I want to be with him but his attention is elsewhere: he has brought this young girl back with him and clearly plans to sleep with her. It's as though the Church is in some way my home and he is using it like an apartment. I and my friend are supposed to leave and go to my house but when we get outside, I can't find my car keys. We are stranded. we creep back into the church and settle down in the chapel, thinking we will have to spend the night there.

The man has taken loads of candles and lit them in a pathway through the building. He lies down within them but the young girl remains standing and doesn't join him. He realises that we are there and both of them come over. I explain that I can't find my keys and the young girl asks whether I'd like her to look and I agree. I have two handbags with me and she goes through both; first the functional one and then the more delicate, gossamer light, thin drawstring one and there she finds the keys. I am very grateful to her (as much because I don't want to be their, seeing him with her as to get home) and I and my friend get up to leave. The man comments on how lovely the candles look and that he has them all over the vestry and above the headboard of the bed in there, too. I say that I will invoice him for the candles!

I got the impression that the really meaningful relationship in the dream was the one between 'me' and the man, yet I was leaving and he was staying with the young girl.

I'm presuming the three women are facets of me and that the dream is about how I feel about my relationship with this man  and maybe what my young self could teach me/show me; ie she finds the keys in the beautiful, delicate handbag.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:05:32 PM by Midlander »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Full of symbols?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:46:40 PM »
Midlander – The key and the handbag. Let me quote  you something interesting.

For one experiment, Schroetter used a 24 year old female pharmacist he calls 'Miss E'. Having put the subject into a 'deep hypnotic sleep', he then told her she would dream of having homosexual intercourse with her female friend L. Schroetter comments that Miss E is Aryan, while L is Jewish. The dream that followed during the night was of Miss E sitting in a small dingy cafe' holding a huge French newspaper. Talking with a strong Yiddish accent, a woman twice asks her, 'Don't you need anything?' Miss E doesn't answer, but the woman comes a third time, and is recognised as her friend L. She is holding a worn suitcase with a label that reads, 'For ladies only!' Miss E goes out of the cafe? with her, and walks along an unfamiliar street, while L hangs on to her. She doesn't like this, but does not like to be rude by telling her to stop. They arrive at L's house, where she pulls out a huge bunch of keys from a rag. She chooses a key and gives it to Miss E, saying, 'I trust only you with it, it is the key to this case. You might like to use it. Just watch that my husband doesn't get hold of it.' L then leaves her with the key.

As, according to Freud's symbology, a case/handbag is a woman, a key the male organ, and walking up a strange street, new sexual conquest, this dream is very interesting. It can be seen how a forbidden idea is hidden within the symbols, and how the symbols express the hidden idea. As Miss E had no knowledge of Freudian concepts these symbols are spontaneous products of her own dream state.
Roffenstein, because he wished to be quite certain of the subject's ignorance of formulated dream symbols, chose a 28 year old nursemaid. She is described as of sub-average intelligence, totally uneducated, and quite innocent of his proposed experiment. She was likewise hypnotised and told to dream, amongst other things, of having sexual intercourse with her father. The dream was of her father. He gave her a large bag, and with it a big key. It was a very big key, like the key to a house. She felt sad, but opened the bag. Then a snake jumped out of it against her mouth, when she screamed and awoke. (Quoted from my book New Dream Dictionary).

So I feel you are right in thinking that the young girl holds the secret of how to attract the man, and has the key to it all. So what is it between you and the young girl that you don’t want to see her and him together? Do you identify with the more functional handbag and therefore fail to search the gossamer one?

The church is interesting too. It is like your home and you allow him to use it. A church, according to the NT is ones body, a holy place. So I see a sexual relationship as central to your life.

If you indentify with the young woman does it make a difference how you feel?

Tony

Midlander

• View Profile
Re: Full of symbols?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
Thanks Tony; it's given me lots to think about. In the dream, I was jealous of the girl, I think; I couldn't bear to see him with her because I want to be with him.......of course, in symbolism it means something quite different, I realise.