Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: circles by black dogs and a circle of salt  (Read 5685 times)

Chris B

• View Profile
circles by black dogs and a circle of salt
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
Hi Tony,
   I was so disturbed by a dream I had last night that I began looking up dream symbolism and that is how I found you. My dream began in a store where I regularly shop. My mother-in-law was with me and she told the salesperson that she wanted a white bathrobe. The salesperson told her she wouldn't be happy with an all white robe and that she should consider an ivory robe. When my mother-in-law selected a robe to try on, I noticed it had green flowers on the front and it was very pretty. My mother-in-law said she wouldn't buy anything without my approval and I told her it was beautiful and she should get it. I actually considered getting one for myself since it was so pretty. As I walked around the store to look for one, I stood next to a very tall man and we began a conversation. In the talk, he told me he had cancer. I felt really connected to him and we talked as if we had known one another for a long time. (in realty, I have never seen this man and I don't know any tall man with cancer)  In the dream, the man's wife came over to see what we were talking about. I told her I had just met her husband and how nice he was. She invited me to a get-together for a cookout at their home. When I came to their home, I was struck by how beautiful it was. It was a very upscale cabin with an incredible interior design. It was clear they had a lot of money base on the decor and the spread of their table. The wife and I were working to get things ready when I heard something at the door. When I looked out I could see several black dogs and it was clear they wanted in. The wife ran and got a twig and tried to lodge it between the door handle and the wall. There was no way this was going to keep those dogs out! I found a couple of pieces of strong wood and was able to create a barrier to reinforce the door. The pounding on the door was very aggressive! I could here barking and growling and scratching. The dream was very scary. In the dream, I ran upstairs and looked out the window and realized that there was an entire circle of black barking dogs surrounding the house. I told the wife we needed to get salt and circle the house. (I have no idea in real life what this means). We took all this salt and put it all around the house and it seemed the dogs couldn't cross the salt. When I looked back outside, the dogs were gone but I could see a dog in the distance at the neighbors house and it had actually caught on fire when it tried to cross their fire pit. The people in that area didn't seem to be disturbed by this at all, which struck me as strange. They simply used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out and everything seemed to be pretty normal for them and they went back to their activity. hmmm. I went back into the house to get ready for the dinner get-together and my husband arrived. He put his arm around me and said that my dad had lived a long and eventful life and it was amazing that he had made it to 81. It seemed that he was telling me that my dad had died. (my dad is now 80 and he'll turn 81 in March).  After that I woke up and the sun was rising in such a way that it made our room red. This is the first time I've seen this since we've lived here 7 years. Between the black dogs in my dream and the red cast in my room in real life, all of this is quite disturbing.
     I was interested in the black and white themes in this dream (the white robe, the cancer, the circle of white salt, the circle of black dogs). Do you think this is just my way of working out life and death dreams or do you think this is some kind of prophetic dream about my dad's passing? I thought it was interesting that I had salt in my dream when I don't know what salt represents. Any insight is much appreciated as I am new to this. 

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: circles by black dogs and a circle of salt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
Chris – Your dream start with you looking for something that is actually your own choice, but is influenced by your mother. In other words you are still connected to your mother emotionally.

Then you meet the man with cancer, and at the end of the dream you connect this with your father. So then the celebratory cooking and the ring of black dogs are there barking. Dogs do not usually bark and collect in a circle like that, and so it seems like a warning. To quote from my entry on dogs, it says that - The black dog figures in quite a lot of people's imagery. Churchill and Bernard Levin use it to represent depression. For some people it is death. The sense or meaning the dog gives in relationship to depression or death is that it is a living energy in us which has gone 'bad' which causes the depression or death; urges which are largely unconscious; messenger related to death.

So here is a warning worth taking notice of. What you did in your dream was to use an old magic trick to repel anxiety – what used to be called ‘bad luck’.

However such dream warnings are not to be seen as awful, but as something to give you time to say or do with your father what is in your heart to be and do. It is not saying and doing that which causes so much heartache after the person has left for the journey through death. Also they sometimes come a while before the illness is really declared.

In any case have him check with a doctor if he can do it without being anxious.

Tony