Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old woman dying in my arms  (Read 5227 times)

jollybev

• View Profile
Old woman dying in my arms
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
Hi Tony. I think I understand my dream but I would still like to consult your expertise!

I dreamed I was outside in a large yard or similar. I was kneeling down, holding a dying old woman in my arms. She was confused and seemed a bit cantankerous but I knew she way dying. There was someone else near me to the left, who was nursing an old man. I was calm and compassionate towards the old woman,  holding her as I would hold a baby and stroking her hair. Then I was alone, standing with my back to the situation, aware that the woman was dead. I was searching my soul for the sad feelings I 'should' have been experiencing, but could feel nothing. I couldn't underdtand it.

(I just had VERY strong deja vu when I typed that - as if I've sat here and typed it before. I even had to check my posts!)

I believe this dream relates to my recent resolve to stop drinking alcohol. I have biploar disorder and my use of alcohol causes mood episodes to occur when they probably otherwise wouldn't. I feel very strongly that I am able to finally overcome this problem. I believe this dream shows I am letting go of an old and difficult part of me. Do you think I am on the right track? I am unsure about the meaning of the other people in the dream.

Thanks
Beverley

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Old woman dying in my arms
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »
Beverley – There are so many questions I would like answers too. Maybe that you have typed it before, but in your forgotten dreams, for an expert on dreams said that we dream everything that we later do in waking.

But I wonder whether your mother had a drinking habit? Because a great deal of our own responses are picked up from parents and often need revising. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/the-conjuring-trick/

If so this would add another level to your understanding of the old woman and man. We all have an inner mother equally as powerful as an external mother. You have taken in millions of bits of memory, lessons learnt, life experiences along with all the feelings or problems met by loving and living with your mother, and they are a major influence in your early life, and in a few cases the child never becomes independent from its mother at any age. This is true even if your mother was never there for you – you still have all the memories of her not being there for you filed under ‘Mother’. The memories and experience we gather unconsciously change us and are not lost. It is part of you and is symbolised in dreams as a person or event. Such an inner mother can appear in dreams because you are still deeply influenced by what you hold within you.

So, if this is true you are not only learning how to be gentle with your own inner reactions that you needed to let die, but also your mother and father’s influence.

In any case, you are certainly letting go of parts of your nature that has been or could be irritating. You loving nature can have an enormous influence in healing yourself.

Tony
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:24:41 AM by Tony Crisp »

jollybev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Hi Tony

My dad does drink alcohol on an almost daily basis. My mother has never had an issue with alcohol, but her mother did. I don't remember her but I'm told she had similar mental health problems to me (hers were exacerbated by the kinds of medication that were doled out at the time) and took her own life at age 60.  I do think about this and it is a major motivating factor for me. I hadn't considered that the woman in the dream could have had a matriarchal meaning. Now I need to ponder more on this!

Thanks so much
Beverley

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:16:18 AM »
Hi Beverley – A possible route to take - http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/habits/

Tony