Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Physical impact of dreams  (Read 5628 times)

Omega

• View Profile
Physical impact of dreams
« on: October 27, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Over the course of several years, I've suffered a series of relentless intense nightmares/flashbacks. In the last year of the dreams I would have stronger and stronger physical symptoms on waking. First it was my heart, racing like it would jump out of my chest or break.

Then I started to experience other powerful sensations on waking, often down my left side, as if I'd been electrocuted during the course of the dream. I would always wake with a shock out of some nightmare. Then this developed to waking to a feeling that my heart had experienced a type of electrocution via the dream and I'd wake just in time for my body to recover from it.

Last night I had a dream where I was actually happy. I can't remember the last time I felt like this in a dream, it must be years. I was at some launch party. I saw two girls who had been friends years ago, but it took me a long time to realise they were very selfish and never cared about me. In the dream I mentally reminded myself to be careful and not let them suck me in. I avoided eye contact and walked quickly by them. Then someone offers me plates of cheese, then I go into the main room and there's gorgeous cheese everywhere.  Now some famous film actor is joking with me, he points to a piece of cheese on my plate and says 'I love that one', then steals some of it, we laugh a lot about it, there's just a feeling of mirth and being in equal and safe  company. I walked on and had the awareness within the dream of how truly happy I felt.

As soon as I had this thought, I woke up and felt very disturbed. I couldn't remember the dream initially, I had intense feelings in my body, I could feel 'electricity' running through my heart - this time it wasn't terror, but it still made me feel very vulnerable. It was still an intense physical sensation of movement/electricity in the heart that I had no control over and was 'happening to me'
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:42:48 PM by Omega »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Physical impact of dreams
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Omega – I believe you have released what I have named LifeStream through your growth. It is a part of present evolutionary steps.

The thing most people never realise is that the greatest and deepest parts of us are all spontaneous, and when we experience such things ourselves we often suffer great anxiety. So your heart beat, your breathing, sneezing, your digestion and all the millions of interactions between internal organs, glands, are all spontaneous, as was your growth in your mother’s womb, and your continued existence. Our personality, our ego, is a tiny fragile thing, but the Life force that was behind your existence, tries where possible to gradually expose you to more of Itself.

To quote from Dreams and Nightmares by Dr. Hadfield, ‘There is in the psyche an automatic movement toward readjustment, towards an equilibrium, toward a restoration of the balance of our personality. This automatic adaptation of the organism is one of the main functions of the dream as indeed it is of bodily functions and of the personality as a whole. This idea need not cause us much concern for this automatic self-regulating process is a well known phenomenon in Physics and Physiology. The function of compensation which Jung has emphasised appears to be one of the means by which this automatic adaptation takes place, for the expression of repressed tendencies has the effect of getting rid of conflict in the personality. For the time being, it is true, the release may make the conflict more acute as the repressed emotions emerge, and we have violent dreams from which we wake with a start. But by this means, the balance of our personality is restored.’
As for how we can enable this to happen, Jung’s student Marie von Franz says that we ‘must get rid of purposive and wishful aims. The ego must be able to listen.’ Jung also encouraged his clients to allow spontaneous movement. Quoting from my book Mind and Movement Jung says, “In most cases the results of these efforts are not very encouraging at first. Moreover, the way of getting at the fantasies is individually different… oftentimes the hands alone can fantasy; they model or draw figures that are quite foreign to the conscious. He also said, "Do nothing but let things happen."

“These exercises must be continued until the cramp in the conscious is released, or, in other words, until one can let things happen; which was the immediate goal of the exercise.”

It is all explained in https://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/opening-to-life/ and https://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/lifes-little-secrets/

The electricity is the release of your life energy to a new level. See https://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/vibrate-vibration-shake/

Tony
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:20:21 AM by Tony Crisp »