Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Red lights, highway, disappearing car  (Read 5171 times)

anotherspiff

• View Profile
Red lights, highway, disappearing car
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
I found this site today while trying to understand a dream I had last night:

It was very dark at night and I was in a car driving down a dark highway. I had the sense that I was moving on as I drove. At first I was just cruising along, but I kept getting faster and faster and faster though I didn't realize it.  I saw red lights - no blue, only red - in my rear view mirror, and for a split second I thought maybe I was being pulled over so I checked my speed and I was shocked at how fast I was going.  I slowed down while watching my rear view mirror, and realized it wasn't police - it wasn't anything. Only lights.  So I stopped the car and got out, and watched the lights for a few minutes, feeling confused.  When I turned to get back in my car, I heard someone say "Where are you going? There's nothing out there," - I thought it was my dad talking (he passed away 16 years ago) and I turned around hoping to see him, but no one was there.  When I turned back around to get in my car,  it was gone. 

Some context:  My husband recently cheated on me for the second time, and we are currently separated. While we've been apart, he has been sinking into a deep depression and struggling with self loathing. We are still quite close despite everything and hope to work it out but he has always refused to get help.   I have used this time to re-evaluate MY priorities, because I have spent our entire marriage putting him first, and neglecting myself.  A part of me wants to just move on, start a new life, but another part of me still loves him very much and wants to make it work. We have four young kids and family has always been so important to me.  My friends all hate him for what he's done and keep making me feel like if I stay I have no self respect.. but I've been married before and divorced and deep down I feel like divorce is the easy way. Yesterday was his birthday, and he also began therapy all on his own much to my surprise.  My dad died when I was 14 years old - two years after my parents divorced.  They didn't have a friendly divorce and I only saw my dad one more time despite how close I was to him through my childhood.  I have struggled with feelings of resentment toward him for just disappearing from my life like that, and then dying so there was never a chance to be close again.

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Red lights, highway, disappearing car
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »
hi,i feel a connection with this dream,
this dream may very well mirror the experience & feelings you have stated,
perhaps you were taking action without really thinking about it,hence the stopping,getting out and lookng back at the light,feeling confused right!
you thought you had perhaps done something wrong,ie the feelings it might have been a cop car pulling you over,
alas it wasnt ,you had not commited any wrong,but it did make you check your speed,
i think the voice saying" where are you going  there is nothing out there" refers to the very thing you have been looking back on,this may be your previous relationship,your past, things behind us in dreams are usually refering to exactly that,
if your father was alive,what advice would he give ?,i say this as  you have a bond with him,so
 it seems natural that he would appear as a mentor figure  to you,albeit a disembodied one,
i fully understand your predicament as i have been in the same situation myself,it is easy to say ,better the devil you know,but you have a right to be happy ,to be loved and taken care of,it is difficult to make a decision between that which is right and that which is easy,
i hope it all works out for you ,
rgds mikey