Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about dreams  (Read 9577 times)

mimiglover

• View Profile
Question about dreams
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
Hi there.
Does every dream have a hidden meaning? And (this is a strange one!) when someone closes their eyes to sleep but are not asleep, is it normal to see colours and flashes of purple and yellow light?

marie

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Question about dreams
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
I don't think dreams have a hidden meaning. There is nothing hidden about the French language, but it may not be understandable if we have not learned to associate meaning to the sounds. Also dreams arise from an ancient part of our nature that did not have language so expresses in what it associates with the people and objects you dream about.

As an example I was recently asked by a man who had given no thought to dreams how on earth you could extract any meaning from them. He was wearing a fairly old T-shirt, so I said, "OK, lets imagine you dreamt of your T-shirt, what would you make of that?"

After a while he said, "I don't know that I would make anything of it."

My response was to say, "Right, but now tell me where you bought the T-shirt, and what memories it has for you." Whereupon he told me, with some hesitation his memories of being abroad, and that the shirt was part of memories that he didn't want to talk about. Not only did he realise he had very powerful associations with the T-Shirt, but he wanted to hide them.

The important point is that everything we see and deal with, every person, every imagined scene, has such a background of feelings and perhaps memories. It is exactly this background of feelings and information that the dream weaves its story from. It is these associations that are the language of our dreams. To understand them you need to become aware of the usually unconscious feeling responses you have in connection with every thing, place, perseon and animal you fill your dreams with.

So I am certain that if we could explore our unconscious every dream has meaning. But of course many people who try to understand dreams are exploring them from a very rational state of mind, never having ventured into their unconscious.

Tony
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:17:33 AM by Tony Crisp »

mimiglover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
Thank you   :)

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
Yes it is common to see flashes or images, but most people do not concentrate on them and so filter them out. In fact if you were asked a question and didn't know the answer, something like -"What shall I do about my daughter, she is rebelling?" - and you closed your eyes and watched what images came, and tried to understand them and told them to the person who questioned you, you might find you are psychic and give them valuable information.

The flashes and changes in light and images are usually brain events that are played out as visual impressions.

Tony