Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Baby hippo  (Read 7171 times)

rawwar73

• View Profile
    • The Upside Down World
Baby hippo
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:45:31 AM »
For reasons I don't remember, I ended up charged with the care of a baby hippo. I knew that I couldn't take care of a baby hippo, so I was trying to figure out how to find someone who could take the baby hippo for me. While I was trying to figure this out, various people came by. They didn't seem to see why having a baby hippo in my house or on a chain in my front yard was such a big deal. They were excited about other things and at one point during a visit with a couple of them, a show - either Dr. Phil or Oprah - came on and they were doing a segment on the baby hippo which recorded the point at which I started caring for the baby hippo (I think because it had been abandoned?). I was surprised that the narrative in the story included everything I had said about the hippo at the time. Like I was an expert. I also remember that there was travel at some point in the dream and that at first I was expecting a baby at any moment.  The baby was born and looked a lot like my 1 year old daughter, so many people didn't realize that there was a new baby unless they saw them together.  In the meantime, the baby hippo was growing (not as quickly as I had expected, though) and I still hadn't found a place for it to be, so I had to start making arrangements to make sure the baby hippo had what it needed like food and water. When the dream ended, I was in the process of finding a small plastic pool for it to soak in.  I was planning to put it next to the pile of grass clippings under a large tree in my front yard where he spent a lot of time. 
It was one of those dreams that I kept returning to during a restless/interrupted period of sleep.  But the baby hippo was so striking to me through out that I'm trying to figure out what it might mean.  I felt like a dream that means something - I just don't know what.  FWIW, I'm female, married and have 5 kids and 1 stepson who lives with us.  Also, my husband had a vasectomy last year, so it's highly unlikely that I will have a real baby again. 

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Baby hippo
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

Rawwar – I have a collection of thousands of dreams which I can search electronically. I use them to see how other dreamers use the same symbols; but there is almost no dreams on hippos. So I have to go on what you describe; and thank you for the bit at the end. I had five children too, and also had the operation. Silly me, as I re-married a beautiful woman and and now wish we had a child from that marriage.

There are a couple of things that give me clues, the first being that in the TV interview it was as if you were an expert. I have the impression that in fact you are, but didn’t realise it until put to the test.

Which leads to my main point which is that you have the care of a baby hippo – quite big but will get much bigger and call on your time and energy.

So my best feeling is that the dream is about a big event that you are involved in, or will get involved in, that will call on you to care and help it grow. If I am right it seems as if it will not be something you want at first.

And then the baby girl – it seems as if it will bring out a new you and that too will grow. It sounds as if you are already busy, but more is on the way. I guess you are a creative woman.

Tony

rawwar73

• View Profile
    • The Upside Down World
Re: Baby hippo
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
Thanks for your help.  What you say is pretty much what I thought it probably meant.  I was just hoping that the baby hippo symbolized something in particular rather than what I think it is.  (I am trying to find a way to get rid of it after all!)  I guess I'll take comfort in the fact that the baby hippo hasn't grown as fast as I had thought it would, so perhaps it will be more managable than I thought.  And if I have been entrusted with its care, then I will also be provided with what I need to see the whole thing through as well.  Any how, thanks again!