Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Avoiding water  (Read 7338 times)

Midlander

• View Profile
Avoiding water
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Me again  ::) I get a whole spate of dreams like this at significant times. I've been getting bouts of anxiety recently that I can't quite pin down; as in, I'm not entirely sure which area of my life they're related to.

I'm walking down a road but it's been raining heavily and the road is flooded on 'my' side. There is a large area covered in water and I don't want to walk through it, so I begin to walk round it but as I begin to do so, I am faced by traffic coming in the other direction which makes walking there dangerous and I'm scared.

Ok - so I'm avoiding some deep emotions? I'm 'stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea'?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:40:30 AM by Tony Crisp »

Midlander

• View Profile
Re: Avoiding water
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
I've just read the rain puddles dream thread and I hadn't thought about rain being feelings pouring out, so it's presumably similar in my dream, only unlike that dreamer, I am not comfortable with going through these deep emotions. I really want to avoid them. However, avoiding them leads me into danger - a possible head on collision.

Does that make sense?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
Yes it does, and this is why it is difficult to really explore dreams. So difficult that may therapists simply interpret them with words or advice.

We all have an instinctive reaction to avoid pain - pull our hand away when touching something hot - but emotions can be allowed if we learn or are supported. Dreams are so full of passionate feelings when we get behind the images. After all, we ARE Life and life is a passionate affair. That is why many people and doctors suggest anti-depressants. In that way the person can slowly meet themselves.

But I want to add that if we can walk through all the water in your dream - all the emotions - it is a wonderful experience. Not only is it a release, but also like and enlightenment because you realise so much about yourself. See http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/lifes-little-secrets/

Tony
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:41:03 AM by Tony Crisp »

Midlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »
Thanks Tony. I know from my work with my therapists in my past how right you are. I know I can go through the emotions but I realise that there is something that I've locked away for the moment because I'm worried that, if I face it, it will have implications for the wider aspects of my life: that it will affect how I function day to day for a while. The dream and your comments are bringing me to a realisation of what I do already know inside myself; if I don't deal with this, it will come to hit me in a far worse way.

Thank you!!