Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

how do i know what this means

?????
0 (0%)
?????
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: what do dreams mean?  (Read 12123 times)

diana965

• View Profile
what do dreams mean?
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:53:59 AM »
what do dreams mean?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello, i was wondering what do dreams mean? does it depend on what you are dreaming about? my son has been dreaming about the number 29 and his daughters and wife. he has been dreaming that something bad is going to happen to his wife. he dreams of his daughters, nothing bad just the color of their eyes. can you tell me what this means? do dreams have anything to do with Christian's and Non-Christian"s, or can i buy some books that would help him? i cant send them to him, the publisher has to and they have to be paperback? my son's dreams are constant, and when i went to see him, it seemed like his dreams are bothering him to the point where he believes that these things are going to happen. but i got to tell you, when he dreams or has these certain feelings, he is usually right and when he says it outloud it happens, it may be a few days when it does happen but it does happen. it's kinda weird to me, that he can do this.  what is this called?  
thanks for answers, they help when i dont understand

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: what do dreams mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Diana – I would have to see your son’s dreams, and then see what he feels has come about to actually be able to comment.

Dreams usually are ways that our most intimate or even unconscious feeling and ideas are put into images. To understand a dream you would need to know what each of the images of the dream means to the dreamer.

Yes, dreams are universal, and are beyond any religious belief.

Your son’s ability, if he can actually say what is going to happen is called prophecy. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/esp-in-dreams/

See also http://dreamhawk.com/books/my-books/

Tony
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:14:15 AM by Tony Crisp »

diana965

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »
THANK YOU TONY,
                      i sent him a letter asking my son that, but the mail is about 3 weeks behind because they don't release the mail to the inmates to quit. but i am going to him him soon, so i can ask him about more details about his dreams and get back to you on it as soon as i can. i have been readind your book  dream dictionary again to understand and that's what i thought as well, but I'm still learning. i appreciate any answers that you can give me.
                                                                                                Diana

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
Hi Diana - I have included a fairly long quote from my book The New Dream Dictionary. I think it give a basis of understanding of dreams,

THE WORLD OF DREAMS

When we sleep and dream we enter a completely different realm of experience than when we are awake. It would be foolish to try to breathe under water in the physical world, but in dreams this is not only possible but lots of dreamers do it. In dreams we can fly. We can make love to men or women as we please, without fear of social or physical consequences. While dreaming we can die over and over. The dead can be reborn, and the world around us can be changed simply by changing our attitude. A monster pursuing us one moment can in an instant become a warm friend because we changed our fear to love.

In the world of dreams our most intimate fears and longings are given an exterior life of their own in the form of the people, objects and places of our dream. Therefore our sexual drive may be shown as a person and how we relate to them; or given shape and colour as an object; or given mood as a scene, something that haunts our memory shown as a ghost or demon. Our feeling of ambition might thus be portrayed as a business person in our dream - our changing emotions as the sea or a river; while the present relationship we have with our ambition or emotions is expressed in the events or plot of the dream.

A dream portrays each part of us, such as our ambition, as being exterior to us, because a thought or an emotion is something we experience, not something we are. By showing our urges or fears as people or places exterior to us, our dreams are able to portray the strange fact that while, for instance, the love we have for another person is intimately our own, we may find such a feeling difficult to bear, as when one is married and falls in love with someone else. While we dream, the subtleties of such dilemmas are given dramatic form. To observe our dilemma as if we were watching it as a play, has very real advantages. The different factors of our situation, such as our feelings for our marriage partner, our love of the new person, and social pressures such as our family’s reactions, might all be shown as different people in the dream.

We can therefore not only experience these as separate from our central self, but we define in the dream’s action how we relate to them. Most important, we can EXPLORE SAFELY the possible ways of living within, or changing the factors involved.

This exteriorisation of internal feelings is clear in the dream of the unanswered telephone, and in that of the sinking BOOTS trailer. Dreams might do this because they frequently portray intimate parts of ourselves which have never been made fully conscious or verbalised. Put in another way, because some parts of our feelings may never have been consciously felt or recognised, they cannot be grasped by us as a thinking or perceiving being. We cannot see them with our eyes, touch them with fingers, or smell them, let alone think about them. After all, they are unknown and formless. But a dream can portray what has not yet been put into words or organised into conscious thought by portraying it in images and drama. The woman who dreams of trying to contact her dead husband may not have fully acknowledged her question of ‘Why he left me?’ Being able to ‘think’ in story form, about subtle areas of our experience, is a great additional faculty when added to our other modes of gaining information and insight. In this way dreams are able to bring to our notice, areas of our being which might otherwise never be known. The dream is thus another SENSE ORGAN, looking into areas we might not have any other way of examining.

MONITOR OF THE UNCONSCIOUS

A way to understand this is to consider the now commonly used monitors one sees at the bedside of critically ill people. Such monitors depict in the form of an image - a flashing moving graph - the heartbeat of the patient. They can also portray temperature, breathing, brain pulses and blood pressure in the form of externally visible images. These internal events would otherwise be unknown or unconscious. In a similar way, dreams are a monitor, giving apparently external images to depict the subtle and otherwise unconscious processes of body and mind.

That the external person or object in the dream is actually the dreamer’s own internal feelings and mental structure is difficult for many people to believe or even grasp. The following unusual dream helps us to develop a conception of this. I say it is unusual because very seldom can a dreamer admit to themselves while asleep, that the world which in their dream appears as exterior, is actually their own internal thoughts feelings and psychobiological functions. The dreamer, A. B. is a man in his fifties, and dreams he has found a huge thistle in his garden which is as big as a tree.

I look at the trunk of the thistle examining it. At this point it seems like a giant hardwood tree. I snap a twig and it smells very nice - a perfumed wood. Other branches are going rotten. Walking around to the back of the tree to see if the bark is rotten I notice a hole where bees or wasps have a colony. I put my left hand up to touch the bark and as I do so notice there is also a hole in the back of my hand, in and out of which wasps are flying. With great shock I look in the hole and see wasps eating my flesh away, so my hand is almost hollow. I awake with the feeling of being old and decrepit.

What is of particular importance in this dream is the point of transition where the dreamer moves from seeing the hole in the tree, to seeing the hole in himself. But this transition continues, for the dreamer then moves to the feeling of being old and decrepit. These points of transition mark the stages of realisation that what seems exterior is not.

Some of the key statements in the dream are EXAMINING - I NOTICE - A HOLE
LOOK IN - and SEE - THE FEELINGS OF BEING OLD and DECREPIT. If we put this into a flowing sentence we have, ‘In examining myself I noticed ‘a hole’ or emptiness in myself. When I look into this I find a sense of being old and decrepit.’

In looking at his hand and realising there was a hole in his life, A. B. took note of what he felt. Just prior to the dream he had experienced a lot of anxiety about whether his marriage was breaking up. The dream made him realise that niggling thoughts and emotions were eating away at his self confidence leading him to feelings of being near to the scrap heap, having outlived his usefulness. The dream had depicted these emotions and thoughts as wasps. This enabled him to see that if he entertained such feelings, they would certainly eat away his grasp of life. He could see that as a person he only ENTERTAINED thoughts and emotions. They were simply what he thought and felt about reality, not reality itself. It was up to him as to what he wanted reality to be. Did he want to entertain the reality of the tired ageing man who could no longer satisfy his wife’s need for love and companionship, having nothing worthwhile to contribute to others? That could certainly become reality if he allowed such feelings to dominate him. He had thought that his life was like a giant thistle, but on closer inspection he saw it was a giant hardwood. It did have branches which needed pruning, but the rest of the tree was good and perfumed - giving off good feelings to others. So he decided to put love and care into his life and marriage instead of self doubt and a sense of defeat.

Tony

diana965

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
THANK YOU, WHERE CAN I BUY THAT BOOK?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
Diana _ Here is a quote from What we need to Remember about Dreaming (http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/what-we-need-to-remember-about-us/)

1.   Life, if you look around you at Life’s creature, can take any form. So Life itself is without form. In fact the recent advances in quantum physics suggest that what gives us existence is beyond space and time – beyond understanding.
2.   So dreams do not come from the human unconscious, but from the formless origins of Life. To express in a way that is understandable to us as a person with limited understanding, dreams use all the common imagery and ideas. So people who say that dreams are a mish mash of common everyday events are mistaken. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/levels-of-awareness-in-waking-and-dreaming/ and http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/brain-levels-and-dreams/.
3.   Our core self can be explained by realising that we are all dependent on the universe. We often feel that the universe is way beyond our understanding, but a few simple facts may help. The first is that the universe as we know it began with what has been called the Big Bang. But before that there was a situation prior to the creation of time and space. That situation is very much like the experience of Edgar Cayce who had an awareness reaching beyond time and space. But that original situation prior to the Big Bang, as it were, died in the formation of our universe with time and space. But that enormous explosion created everything we know and experience, every atom and form of energy. So at the heart of all matter, all life is that condition of timeless and spaceless existence. In fact modern quantum physics hints at it.
4.   Irish physicist John Stewart Bell put forward a quantum theorem that has revolutionised the way reality is considered. In brief, the theorem states that when two sub-microscopic particles are split and moved to a distance from each other, the action on, or of, particle ‘A’, is instantaneously reproduced with particle ‘B’. This interaction does not rely on any known link or communication and is considered to stand above normal physical laws of nature, as it is faster than light. Prior to such findings it was thought nothing could transcend the speed of light. Nick Herbert, in an interview published in High Frontiers writes: ‘THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS that are being kept from the public as far as the subjects of physics and consciousness are concerned. Bell’s Theorem was proved in 1964, and it is still not taught in physics classes, and you don’t hear it on your science news programs. A theorem is a proof, and no one has found a flaw in this theorem. It’s such a simple proof that a high school kid can understand it. So physicists can understand it. They have various ways of trying to ignore it, but it can’t be refuted because it’s so simple.

Our Core self is that amazing part of us existing beyond time and space, and was within us from the start of our universe. It has no locality – it is everywhere at once. That is a fact stated by quantum physics. See: http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/jesse-watkins-experience-of-enlightenment/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:11:30 AM by Tony Crisp »