Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying on clothes to buy, bright yellow strapless sundress  (Read 4070 times)

shopgirl

• View Profile
Trying on clothes to buy, bright yellow strapless sundress
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
I usually am pretty in tune with what i think my sub-con is trying to tell me when i sleep but a little perplexed by this one - so insight is welcome - i'll give my personal situation that i'm currently working through to see if that helps with understanding the context of the dream. 

I'm married, with kids (tweens, who are giving me a bit of a run for my money with their attitude of late), and I'm currently un-employed (laid off in the fall, nice package to see me over, so no $$ stress...yet). Last night before i went to sleep, i applied for 2 contract part-time positions that allowed for virtual, work from home situations. This was a 180 for me in how i have been approaching work. But i have not been getting anywhere in my job search, and thought maybe the universe was telling me that i needed to change my approach, and my rationale last night was, if nothing else, this allows me to be present for my kids who still need me to cart them everywhere after school, etc.  (the pay stinks, but the benefit of no stress is appealing I guess I'll deal with paying the bills at some point??). 

Anyway, my dream was this (and btw, i woke up mid-dream, and went back to sleep and the dream continued from where i left off).  In my dream I'm engaged to this guy that I actually had a "thing" with IRL about 8 years ago - and we are at his house and his parents are visiting.  I think I live there because I'm waking up in the beginning of the dream and I go to walk across the bedroom and i'm partially clothed - I don't realize that the door is open and his dad can see me and I immediately close the door - i see his dad's face and his dad is being kind enough to act like he doesn't notice me.  I throw on this short pajama set a gray tank top and gray boy shorts and go out to get coffee in the kitchen - and my boyfriend grabs my arm and says we're going clothes shopping. I'm like ok.  I then notice they are all dressed up like it's a work day - he and his dad are in slacks and button-down shirts, and i honestly don't remember what his mother was wearing or if i even noticed. but they were in black slacks, white dress shirts. and reading the paper on the couch during my dream i thought was ridiculous because it was the weekend, no work.

So we're in the car, we end up at this really cool shop that is like an upper end home decor shop but that sell clothes too, and I say I really don't care what we buy.  I remember in my dream that if he wants me to buy clothes, that's fine, he can pick them, i don't care one way or the other.  So I go on into the dressing room and he has picked out this bright yellow strapless dress, that has this bright flowered purple sash.  I am somewhat annoyed by the choice and he says "we actually DRESS before we come out of our rooms" implying that it was inappropriate for me to have left the bedroom in my pajamas earlier.  So, I tell him to hand me his credit card if he wants me to get this dress, and he does.  I go back to the dressing room to finish trying on clothes - and now the room is all gray, i don't think the dress is there, i look outside and he is gone but i instinctly know he's gone on home to leave me to finish shopping. but i still have his credit card in my hand.  I remember the feeling in my dream is one of apathy that he's left.

And then I wake up.  Because i remember how I felt and colors seem so important -what could this mean??

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Trying on clothes to buy, bright yellow strapless sundress
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
ShopGirl - The guy you dreamt of is your memories and things you picked up from him. Most people do not realise the massive experience they take in during a relationship and how it interacts with them when we love someone. In other words the memories and experience we gather unconsciously change us and are not lost. This wonderful example, it will show how much we take in from those we love or lived with. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/questions-2/#Explains

You seem to be relaxed and easy in that feeling of him being in you, but the issue of clothing comes up. It is not the done thing to be dressed informally. Clothes depict the stance or attitudes we use to meet other people or special situations such as work or danger; protection, such as might be given by our feelings of reserve, shyness, anxiety or aggressiveness in fending off sexual or other advances.

This is so important from the point of view you picked up from him that he takes you to a clothing store and give you the means to purchase what you want. But it is not his choice that you want - the colors are important to you. Colors usually represent the feeling you want to express, or are doing so unconsciously.

But underlying all that is the apathetic feeling when you no longer have the feeling of a man with you as mutual support. So in summing up I feel the dream is saying that in making a 180 degree turn you must change the way you feel about yourself - colour - and also the way you present yourself - with less apathy. And let your children realise that you are the bread winner, and need their support. See http://dreamhawk.com/news/avoiding-being-my-own-victim/

Tony