Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheshire Cat?  (Read 5795 times)

Dreamtime

• View Profile
Cheshire Cat?
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
Tony - I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this symbolism. I enjoy reading signs and noting synchronicity, which seem to happen very frequently for me. Lately the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland keeps coming up synchronistically in my waking life in various random ways. I'm wondering what does the Cheshire Cat symbolize from your perspective? Also, another curious thing is that my older sister used to call me "Cheshire Cat" when I was a little girl. It was only when I was very small before she moved away to university. She said that I smiled just like the cat and my eyes had the same twinkle. Nobody else in my family called me that nickname though and my sister had other nicknames for me as well. This memory popped up after I started to notice the Cheshire Cat kept appearing in my life just recently. Any thoughts on this symbol?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Cheshire Cat?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
DreamTime - Well you obviously have associations of your own, and if you wish you could try ‘being’ the Cheshire Cat. Seeing that all images of our dreams are productions of our self, in being an object or person we are tuning into aspects of oneself usually unconscious. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/acting-on-your-dream/#BeingPerson and http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/inner-world/

But I had an insight into the meaning of the Cat as Lewis Carroll may have seen it; considering that the story shows him smoking pot and eating magic mushrooms. So I quote an entry from my journal - November 1992.

“The more one sought an answer, the less likely one was to find one. All effort dropped away and I existed in a simple state of being, of clear existence, for hours. My ego seemed to melt, yet it was still there, it hadn’t been destroyed or overcome, or denied. It had simply dropped like effort from the limbs when we sleep. (Was using the Enlightenment Intensive method)

In this state I had a wonderful sense that I had been let into the Garden of Eden again. Everybody was always in the Garden but they cannot see it because they have lost their innocence. They have covered up their perception of it with too many thoughts, opinions, struggles, attitudes, fears, dreams and hopes. I could see that we play thoughts and attitudes like records, and these were not ourselves. I knew myself as the empty awareness of existence. It was heaven, it was peace, it was beyond any effort.

"In this state I had a wonderful sense that I had been let into the Garden of Eden again. Everybody was always in the Garden but they cannot see it because they have lost their innocence. They have covered up their perception of it with too many thoughts, opinions, struggles, attitudes, fears, dreams and hopes. I could see that we play thoughts and attitudes like records, and these were not ourselves. I knew myself as the empty awareness of existence. It was heaven, it was peace, it was beyond any effort.

"At one point I suddenly realised the meaning of the Cheshire Cat in Alice In Wonderland. I was touching the radiance, the self existent gentle joy of existence, and my ego was not there. It had melted, disappeared. And this was what I saw had happened to the Cheshire Cat. All that was left was the smile, hanging in emptiness. That was how I felt, like a smile hanging in space.”

It is the disappearance of the face, the ego, or at least what one thinks of as one’ self or personality, that is the key to it. Hanging in emptiness.

Tony
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:55:07 AM by Tony Crisp »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Cheshire Cat?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
DreamTime - Some things are hard to forget when they were so impressive. But I have my whole journal from 1962 on hard disk. I spent ages reading it in with voice recognition, and I now use a wonderful search program, dtSearch, which in seconds finds things from a whole library of books - mine and other peoples, which I scanned in.

Any way, it is lovely to wander in the garden of your face with you.

Tony