Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: meeting the fool in white  (Read 6565 times)

Dreamtime

• View Profile
meeting the fool in white
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:33 PM »
Tony, I had a dream recently where I was moving away to school into a house with a group of new roommates both males and females that all symbolize different aspects of myself related to present growth. I'm trying to understand one of the characters and I would like to hear your impressions of him. He is a young celebrity who is very comedic (symbolizing part of my unacknowledged potential) and I was shaking hands with him. He was very goofy and lighthearted and in my dream record I wrote that he was "a real joker." He seems to very clearly symbolize the fool or clown archetype but the thing that I'm trying to understand is that he was wearing a suit that I recognized very specifically as a navy uniform, only it seemed very unique for some reason because it was pure white and looked very new. I'm trying to understand the significance of the clothes with this character. ~DT

- anna -

• View Profile
Re: meeting the fool in white
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
Dreamtime  :)

I suppose you did look at the meaning of white clothes in the dictionary and could not find what you were
looking for yet?

http://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/colours/#White
White clothes: A sense of wholeness; purity or marriage. Attitudes that express or allow a lot of your core energy.

Since the fool is an archetype and therefore part of our collective unconscious where every information can be found, perhaps your dream figure chose the white uniform because it knew of the nickname it has?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Navy

Summer White Service
The Summer White Service uniform (formerly known as Tropical White Long; nicknamed the "milkman" and "Good Humor") consists of a short-sleeved white button-up shirt worn open-collared, white trousers and belt, and white dress shoes.

Since a nick name is very unique, perhaps that is what you sensed about the uniform?

Anna :-)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:57:56 PM by - anna - »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
Dreamtime - Anna's good research seems to link with the character.

I came across another thing that may be helpful. The joker or trickster has four different stages, much the the story of Monkey - who has the characters of the Journey to the West in which Pigsy, Sandy, Monkey and Tripitaka the monk symbolised the different stages of growth.

In trickster/joker the first was the earliest and least developed period of life. Trickster is a figure whose physical appetites dominate his behaviour; he has the mentality of an infant. Lacking any purpose beyond the gratification of his primary needs, he is cruel, cynical, and unfeeling.

The next figure is Hare. He, like Trickster, also first appears in animal form. He has not yet attained mature human stature, but all the same he appears as the founder of human culture-the Transformer. The Winnebago believe that, in giving them their famous Medicine Rite, he became their saviour as well as their culture-hero. This is where the lowest animal tendencies begin to transform.

Red Horn, the third of this series of hero figures, is an ambiguous’ person, said to be the youngest of 10 brothers. He meets the requirements of an archetypal hero by passing such tests as winning a race and by proving himself in battle. His superhuman power is shown by his ability to defeat giants by guile (in a game of dice) or by strength (in a wrestling match). He has a powerful companion in the form of a thunderbird called “Storms-as-he-walks,” whose strength compensates for whatever weakness Red Horn may display. With Red Horn we have reached the world of man, though an archaic world, in which the aid of superhuman powers or tutelary gods is needed to ensure man’s victory over the evil forces that beset him. Toward the end of the story the hero-god departs, leaving Red Horn and his sons on earth. The danger to man’s happiness and security now comes from man himself.

These stories are of course representing enormous human changes and challenges and are told in different ways - as also in the Ox Herding - see http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/integration-meeting-oneself/#Ox

It is about the challenges we all meet to change from someone who is basically lost in instinctive behaviour and in meeting the challenges that life offers unfolds human characteristics. “Storms-as-he-walks,” whose strength compensates for whatever weakness Red Horn may display is the enormous and often hidden potential we all have that often breaks through and so is a compensatory or homeostatic function we have. I have tried to describe this in http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/lifes-little-secrets/

"Where do we come from? Where do we go? Only the sage knows. And the sage knows such questions are profitless. Daily, the clever man learns something. Daily, the wise man gives up some certainty. Perhaps."

Tony

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
Dreamtime  :)

Also, when I looked up the naval uniforms I found an image of a man in a similar uniform and it was said to be the full dress white uniform worn for a ‘Change of Command Ceremony’, which seems to fit with the change of command and perception going on within right now.

I came across that meaning too and I wonder what the change of command means to youi?

You ARE writing a wonderful myth and I wonder if the fool is there to help you to not take it all too
seriously?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by - anna - »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Anna - I feel as if I am often a very young child wandering through a forest of words. Often the trees talk to me and we have wonderful kids play with words. At those times I feel the wonderful child who simply plays.

The Monkey and the Ox Herding are things I could weave words around forever and still not capture in the weaving the enormous meaning.

But another of you post that I cannot find - I find it much easier - my advanced age you understand  :) - to see separate entries rather than long ones - here is something in reply to the entry I can't find. It was about collective unconscious.

In my dream I was in the garden of a large house. To the right of the house, my right that is, I saw the garden had been changed. I realised that I knew the garden from childhood, and there used to be a large pool by the house in which we all bathed when young. The ground sloped up from the house and was rough, but part of it had been dug over. The care and skill with which this had been done deeply impressed me.

There were no direct associations I could make with the house or the pond, so I started allowing spontaneous material to enter into the dream, allowing my mind to roam freely and show me out of what images and feelings the dream had been fashioned.

I started with the pond, and had the most unexpected set of fantasies and feelings bubble up from within. The garden when we were children referred to a condition of mind, which I now experienced, in which a group shared a common awareness, and felt at one with their environment. In other words there was no separate identity. No one in the group knew themselves as an individual. I knew as I experienced this that it was about the early condition of human beings, and was represented in the Bible as the Garden of Eden. It was about the history of our development as human beings. It showed me that in the early stages of evolution all human beings lived in a state of awareness in which they had no sense of separation from nature itself. They had no sense of individual existence either, but lived in a sort of paradise where there was no idea of birth or death or right or wrong. They felt at one with each other in their small groups and with the forces of nature.

When I experienced this I understood at last what the story of Genesis meant. It was about stages of psychological development, not physical or mythical history. Humans had come out of the pool though, out of the collective awareness, and at that point I experienced a mass of impressions and images I still cannot completely understand. The images suggested that at first, maybe one or two humans climbed out of that pool, and they left a mark. They climbed out and put one stone on top of another. The images developed further into suggesting that many ancient monuments were an expression of this enormous sense of the newly found identity – of personal existence.

I understood this to mean that one or two humans had achieved personal identity. In that state they realised something about themselves – they could say ‘I am’. They could ask ‘Who am I?’ That had never been possible before.

I need to say what arose in me were not those words or memory or vision of definite events, but a sense of touching or experiencing an overall memory, a vast overall process. So I am trying to put into words what I sensed. It was such a wonderful thing, so full of experience, to see this that I want to try to describe it. At the same time, it was an immense process and difficult to capture.

What I felt was that the pool was a collective consciousness such as Jung speaks of, and that it still exists now in our unconscious. At the early stages of human development though, it was the everyday experience, but the individuals who attained self awareness began to build a new type of life. They left stone monuments, carvings, paintings in caves, stone circles, pyramids; each person, each group realising deep down that this new level of awareness was a thing to be given and built. The Sphinx is an image of this half way state of human and animal.

This is where words are difficult, but the dug ground in the dream depicts it. If the son of a farmer takes over the farm, his work and achievement are built upon what his father did with the land. The father’s work is built upon by the son, and is a continuation, of what his father did. Even if one was to take a piece of land which had never been farmed before, one would farm it with tools, experience and attitudes developed gradually through thousands of years of human effort. I saw that I, although I am not usually aware of it, am formed out of the ideas, words, attitudes, pleasure and pain left to me as a heritage by millions of people. If I had not been raised by modern humans I would, in fact, not have developed an identity. My identity is a gift to me from the great river of human beings who left a mark, one stone on top of another, a concept enshrined in art, a struggle or love immortalised in stone, a realisation and transcendence depicted in a religious ritual or in a new word.

The garden, the dug plot was myself, my personality. But my personality, the attitudes and reactions of its very foundations and structure, the words with which my mind realises its existence, are the living remains of countless other lives and their endeavour, their love, their ignoble failure, their genius and their prayers. I AM my ancestors. That I have also dug that plot by my work on my dreams, by trying to transform the unwieldy loam of myself into finer stuff, gives me a place in the river of life, in the eternal process of continuity.

Most important of all, perhaps, in such simple acts as writing out this dream, I leave a mark. I etch upon the world the sign of my own realisation, the changed lines of transformation. For self consciousness is a sort of collective consciousness which forever depends upon giving, and upon physical records of living beings to enshrine its existence. Without living beings who carry the words and responses gradually developed by myriad ancestors; without books, paintings, music, science and architecture, we have no existence as people. In one generation we could be swallowed up by that pool, that sea of self–forgetting symbolised by the waters that swallowed Noah’s contemporaries. Even now, without the love of giving, that sea can swallow us. That was my dream.

Tony

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »

Tony  :) I love it how you are always able to refine "my stuff", based on your own experiences.

So far you have been a wonderful "training adult" and I am grateful that we can continue
with each other.

Thank you also for your patience with the tricks I played on you  :'(
I am glad you understood.