Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: the buddhist holy man  (Read 9197 times)

mikey

• View Profile
the buddhist holy man
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
hi tony,
i am struggling to understand this dream,i know you are well versed in religious/spiritual symbology,
despite a bit of research i am still uncertain as to its importance,so i am hoping you can help me with this .
the dream.
i observe & follow a buddhist holyman with his helper or aide,we walk up onto the top of a large dome/mound,we each carry a glass bowl in which is a lighted candle,
we reach the top of this dome ,the holy man sits down making preperations to meditate,
he is sat in the lotus position with the bowl candle by his feet,the aide stands behind him holding his bowl in his hands,sort of over the head of the sitter,
i am filled with awe as i know that he will sit meditating through everything that is thrown at him weatherwise,unshakable,detached etc,
i turn around walking to the edge of the dome,i see the whole landscape spread out before me,the air smells sweet & fresh,the sun is shining brightly,i feel good,it all feels good.

the dome reminded me of one that is in Kathmandu,a Buddhist shrine i think with some sort of face painted on it,.
 have been thinking  about a path i think i need to follow,i can only surmise that this dream may be reinforcing my thoughts,
your thoughts are always most welcome.
rgds mikey

- anna -

• View Profile
Re: the buddhist holy man
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
Mikey  :)

I wonder if you perceive it too that Tony answered you with this post?

http://dreamhawk.com/forums/index.php?topic=3782.msg8527;topicseen#msg8527

The post is part of a dream in the dream dictionary and the first part is not in this post:

http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/physics-new-physics-and-the-mind/

I don’t think I have ever before felt such an amazing feeling as that magical sense of being able to stand amidst anything and everything that came towards me and yet remaining as pure, naked awareness.

i am filled with awe as i know that he will sit meditating through everything that is thrown at him weatherwise,unshakable,detached etc,
i turn around walking to the edge of the dome,i see the whole landscape spread out before me,the air smells sweet & fresh,the sun is shining brightly,i feel good,it all feels good.

Anna :-)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:10:59 AM by - anna - »

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
hi  anna,
i must admit when i read tony's post above,i couldn't help  notice a kind of synchronicity,not sure if tony has replied intentionally to my post for a general audience or its just a coincidence.
i would say its just a coincidence,never the less an interesting one.
i am not a follower of any particular religion,but i find it really interesting how the human psyche uses religious symbology & metaphor to make a point,i am always in awe of of this.

mikey

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »
Mikey  :)

Either way - I leave it up to Tony to share or not - I see the awe in your dream as an expression of Wonder for "Something" which is beyond any religion:
pure, naked awareness.

Yes, I understand what you mean with the wonder - or awe - which comes with being aware how your dream creator chooses symbols that enable you to become more aware of this pure, naked awareness that YOU are.

I like to believe - but perhaps you can help me out of it?  ;) - that somehow you must feel that religious symbology and metaphor are helpful means on this inner journey to What you are beyond all your thoughts and beliefs and so it serves that purpose in your dreams too.

I have chosen to believe that these symbols and metaphors must be meaningful to you, because I have had experiences of being pure, naked awareness and I hardly dream - if ever - about any religious symbol or metaphor as I perceive it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:24:44 PM by - anna - »

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
anna,
i don't think you need helping out of your belief,
i feel that the symbols & metaphors in dreams are  relative to the individual,
my experience has taught me that the unconscious,spirit world,inner self what ever you wish to call it,is quite able to confront you with imagery you consciously had no idea you knew ,maybe even repulsed by, as it may have the effect of challenging your beliefs.
i know you are aware of this.

my own dream journey did not make sense looked at from any angle other than what we call shamanic,
don't get me wrong,i am not a shaman,but my dream imagery was,
i think this was the media something other/ inner felt was the best way to shock me out of my numbness,
now we have the buddhists turning up,
if i am ill,this must all be part of the cure. :)

the job is not finished yet ,
mikey

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »

;D  ;D  ;D Mikey "now we have the buddhists turning up"
I like your humour.

I do however not consider that this part of your journey has anything to do with illness. I see it merely
as going beyond all symbols.
I like the idea of using symbols to go beyond them  :)

And no, IT never ends.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Mikey Old Friend - I don't think there was any need to add to what has already been said, but knowing me I love to share what I have met/experienced on the way.

When I first started exploring my dreams back in January 25th 1967 - I kept a journal - I had a dream that I still find impressive - it was the third dream I had remembered. It outlined a path for me to follow, and what it described was very difficult for me to accept. The advice was to give up all my searching and go back to living an ordinary life and doing ordinary work, because it implied that life itself when we really experience it is the ultimate teacher.

This next one is from June 1992. Here is the dream.

Remembered a dream from last night or early this morning. I had got hold of a book of photographs of Japan. It was printed in the thirties or earlier and was externally worn and dog-eared. I opened the book to look at the pictures. They were all black and white. The first one was spread over the two open pages. It was of a beach, taken from a hillside. The day was cloudy but bright. One could almost feel or see the breeze blowing because there was a sense of movement. The beach was slightly curved, bay like, with the hill rising from near the edge of the sea. Here and there trees growing, not big. On the beach the rollers were breaking, quite big surf. A large rocky shelf ran into the sea from the beach, and this caused the breakers to roll up and around at one point, turning back toward the sea again. In the middle of this, quite small in the photo was the figure of a man sitting in the lotus position facing the land. Waves were breaking around and slightly over him, but he sat at peace, undistracted, in Zen meditation. It was so simple, so beautiful. I realised I had read somewhere of the man who sat amidst the waves.

I explored my Japan photographic book dream with a friend. It was very rewarding and I felt the emotion involved in the dream. I started as the man meditating on the beach. As him I felt I was in a state of ‘being’ in which I accepted the energy and movement of the waves. I realised that the ‘meditation’ could easily have been a conflict with the waves - a resistance or fight, perhaps struggle. I saw this as related to the way I meet life experience, or the way I am learning to meet it. By this I mean both internal experience of emotion and thought, but also exterior events and their impact on me.   

I had my back to the waves because in this position I was not meeting the waves head on, but letting them move me. This relates to what is said above about meeting experience. I also sense this as to do with the ‘way’. It is learning to see the way of things inside oneself and outside. Learning to see how things live and function, and working with the process instead of trying to force things. The sea and waves I experienced as Life itself, not just the experiences but the process of life, as it flowed through me, and I was not turning my back on the land - everyday life. J asked me a question of how long I would stay there, and how long I had been there. My immediate feeling response was that I was still connected to everyday life and duties in a positive way. This meant that although I was bathing in the waves of the ocean of life, I had not lost my connection with everyday life and practical activities. I came and sat with the waves when I could, to bathe again in the ocean of life, to know the joy of ‘being’. There was no need to seek this joy or struggle toward it. It always exists, but is sometimes covered by the activities of the mind, the emotions or the attempt to reach goals.   

Tony

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
I don't think there was any need to add to what has already been said, but knowing me I love to share what I have met/experienced on the way.

Tony - Although addressed to Mikey, I feel like responding (too).

I perceive your contribution as "enlarging", which to me has a different flavor than "adding".

Because of the journey you made, you are able to look at what was shared so far from a different angle,
and with sharing what you did in your post, I feel you enlarged the approach towards Mikey's dream and I like it.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
tony,Anna
thank you both for your thoughts.
tony,
reading what you had to say reminded me of a scene  from the novel,under the Tuscan sun,
the wise old lady tells of how she spent most of her life looking for ladybirds in this one particular field ,
she never found any,
then one day in this field,on a warm sunny day ,she fell asleep,
when she woke,she found she was covered in ladybirds.

i know zen Buddhism is full of opposites,IE its not about learning, but unlearning,
its not about trying to reach a goal,but giving up the idea of one,
what is simple,is never simply seen,
i suppose when you have that breakthrough,which i have yet to experience,
it probably is simple,& just like the ladybirds,
if you want to find something,don't look for it !
all is zen.

Mikey

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 09:44:29 AM »
Mikey - You are right on top of it. And of course it is on top of you.

If you get the opportunity to have a partner who is interested in the inner world to sit with you for a whole day. Sit opposite each other and then have your partner ask the question, "Who are you?". Do that for six minutes and then change roles.

Do not make the mistake of thinking up answers to the question, but report what you are aware of being at the moment - I am aware of being uncomfortable - I am aware of my body breathing - I keep thinking about a person I met and the feelings I had.

One partner gives the instruction to the other and listens intently without any response. The “talking” partner looks for a direct experiential answer and reports it to their partner. The listening partner must not reply or respond and it should not lead to conversation.

If you could manage two days it can really work. You can allow any emotions or senses that erupt, there is an active and often emotional phase, which when successful leads to a quiet and calm phase. I led and took part in a number of two day sessions, and two four day sessions. I believe the thinking mind gets exhausted and if successful faints - bingo!

Or go to an organised session - look up Enlightenment Intensives.

Tony
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:13:47 AM by Tony Crisp »