Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting a lobotomy  (Read 4626 times)

mej1945

• View Profile
Getting a lobotomy
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
Hello. I'm new here and thankful for finding this site. Can you help me to understand a dream of a woman attempting to forcefully give me a lobotomy. Before she began I knew and agreed to it, but she had what looked like a meat hook in her hand and when she touched it to my forehead I became horrified and tried to force her away from me. This woman was a stranger to me. She had the general demeanor and look of my deceased grandmother. As soon as I began to try to force her away the dream changed to another unrelated and more pleasant scene.

- anna -

• View Profile
Re: Getting a lobotomy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »

Mej1945  :)

Welcome to the Forum and I do understand your feeling grateful for finding this site, for I am still grateful too.

It is helpful to know that in the world of dreams our most intimate fears and longings are given an exterior life of their own in the form of the people, objects and places of our dream. Therefore our sexual drive may be shown as a person and how we relate to them; or given shape and colour as an object; or given mood as a scene. Our feeling of ambition might thus be portrayed as a business person in our dream – our changing emotions as the sea or a river; while the present relationship we have with our ambition or emotions is expressed in the events or plot of the dream.

Every image and person in your dreams is an expression of your own life process. As such it is alive and intelligent and is something sent to help you. A dream is like a projection from a movie projector, except that you are the projector.

Everything you see as outside you is coming from you, your emotions, your fears, your beliefs, your joys and explorations and are all you, clothed in the dream images and drama. So when you dream of someone you should not feel you are dreaming about that actual person. As with most dreams, the person in the dream is not the person themselves, but is a collection of memories, associations and feeling about him or her.

I see your dream as you becoming aware that there is a more gentle and more loving way of dealing with your inner world than the first approach you agreed with.

A lobotomy consists of cutting or scraping away most of the connections to and from the prefrontal cortex, the anterior part of the frontal lobes of the brain.
If I understood it correctly, then the prefrontal cortex is part of your mammalian brain and so in your dream too it was about the initial agreement of cutting off the connection you have with this part of yourself.

http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/brain-levels-and-dreams/#mammalbrain
The Mammalian Brain

The functions of the second, Mammalian brain that exist within the Human ‘brain’, MacLean likened to the skills shown in mammals such as wild dogs and apes. Whereas the lizards do not demonstrate mutual activity in hunting or caring for young, mammals show enormous awareness of bonding, caring for young, group activity, hierarchy and recognition of family and pack. They also have a much bigger pool of behavioural responses and can learn even more. This part of our human ‘brain’ integrates and refines the functions of the reptilian brain. It provides emotional range and intensity, and gives a greater complexity to what motivates or deters us. It is this greater awareness of how we relate to others, and the social structure in which we exist, along with a sense of what place in it we occupy, that enables us to modify and coordinate the impulses arising from the reptilian brain.

Unlike the human brain which often experience depression and feeling lost or aggression towards others, the mammalian brain recognises proper relationships within the herd or pack. Here too lie the beginnings of being able to reflect and learn from experience in that way.

The stranger in your dream may be referring to an unrecognised part of yourself, your behaviour or character, or something you fail to see or recognise as you, which was how you perceived the woman at first.
Then you became aware that "the stranger" was probably a projection of cultural and family influences, physically and psychologically, that your body and personality arose from.

You did become aware that the moment you refused to walk the path of cutting off the connection with your mammalian brain, you felt better.

So it will be helpful to explore what you associate with your deceased grandmother - questions like was she in touch with (the whole range of) her emotional feelings might be helpful - so you can become aware what it is that you do not want.
See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/association-of-ideas-with-dreams/#Working

Anna :-)