Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Start of Lucid Dreaming  (Read 8952 times)

kikiargos

• View Profile
The Start of Lucid Dreaming
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:56 AM »
I have been experiencing lucid dreaming now for a few months.
Last night I dreamt that I was being pursued by a male attacker and suddenly became aware that I was in a dream-so I said to myself I would face him instead of run from him. I was instantly given a laser weapon and waited upon a hilltop for this attacker to show himself. He never turned up and I was left bored and disappointed. Mind you, I was lucid all of this time. My feeling at the time was one of disappointment because my dreams have always been so fantastic all of my life. Suddenly I felt like the mystery and intrigue of them had been sapped and that they were now just like everything else. I don't want my dreams to be boring! For the last forty years they have given me so much joy with their mystery. Now, if I am a conscious observer, I feel that they are tainted. I liked it better when they were a mystery; what am I to do with them now? Their meaning has changed. How is it that I can know I am dreaming? I find that unsettling.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:45:41 AM by kikiargos »

- anna -

• View Profile
Re: The Start of Lucid Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »

Kikiargos - I logged in into the Forum to answer your first dream in which you became aware that you were dreaming and then I wandered off again doing other things.
Meanwhile you entered this post and I can see you did another step to explore what is changing in your inner world.

What I felt like sharing is that this book will certainly be a wonderful read for you too. I only read it recently and it was an eyeopener for me:

http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/lucid-dreaming/

I think that you feel disappointed because you were able to look deeper into the way you "create" (make up?) your inner world and it enabled you to become aware that a whole lot of it disappears the moment you dare to face it.
Please also read http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/the-archetype-of-the-shadow/

So what you perceived as "real" turned out to be a belief which vanished into "Nothingness".
See also  http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/inner-world/

Do trust that you will meet your inner mystery in a different way - beyond what you can imagine - if you continue on the inner journey you are on  :)

Anna :-)

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »
Kikiargos - A thought that struck me that might add to the great answer that Anna gave is that you decided, perhaps unconsciously, to have a laser gun. Obviously this was either to protect yourself or to kill the male attacker.

But you are in the dream world which is a mirror of you - your attitudes, emotions and feelings. The attitude to kill was what froze your action - for you were about to attack or kill a living part of yourself; a part of you that you felt threatened by.

It is also important to realise that every image, every scary or terrifying thing or person, is taken place inside you, in your mind, as you sleep. This means that every awful animal, every scary thing or person, is created out of your own fears and must not be seen as outside you as happens in waking awareness. The problem is that we are often scared of or frightened of actually experiencing our emotions and so they confront us in our dreams. Avoiding them or controlling them is like running away from oneself - there is no escape. See http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/lifes-little-secrets/

Tony

kikiargos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »
I see what you are saying. It is a bit intimidating. I have read many of your articles and can grasp the content, but realize that this is a process. I appreciate your taking the time to respond (Anna as well) to my dream content. It is often difficult to find ears that are open to these kinds of things. Thank you. I have always looked forward to dreaming-ever since a child. Always active and vivid. Even shared dreams with my son and husband-same themes etc. I have always payed attention.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Kikiargos - The human personality – the You that you call yourself, with a name, is only a tiny thing. In terms of the enormous periods of time taken for life to emerge and then develop self awareness, human existence is a tiny period. Self awareness of our planet is very new, and is still under development.  Before self consciousness appeared we were like animals that lived only in what we usually call instincts. So the development of self awareness was an immense step, and left us very vulnerable, and still does.

Instincts are very ancient and are not like the reasoning and conscious mind. They are huge and ancient compared with human awareness - yet that is our background - our unconscious. The animal usually has direct contact with how to make a home, have a baby, and survive - all without thinking or reading a book.

Our dreams are a form of contact with that huge awareness, which works without words, of the language we use, and presents itself as images woven together out of our unconscious feelings and associations. These are usually completely non understandable by our thinking mind, and so when we actually begin to be aware of it, it can cause us to be scared - after all it is all so new to us.

I say all this because you are moving toward meeting the huge awareness we associate with instincts - an awareness we left behind to develop self awareness. So please see http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/the-unconscious-2/

Tony

kikiargos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
I enjoy your articles very much and thank you for providing your writings and knowledge here.
I come to this site frequently after poignant dreams, and always find the content here helpful.

kikiargos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
So why did we leave behind instinctual awareness to develop self-awareness?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
Kikiargos - Sorry, that was my attempt to explain without a lot of background experience/information.

We didn't actually leave it behind, we buried it because we are afraid of it.

We have to remember that having a personality with self awareness is a very new thing and has only existed for a short time. Before that we were like animals that lived only in the Life Will – what we usually call instincts. So the development of self awareness was an immense step, and left us very vulnerable, and still does.
Many people as their awareness reaches beyond what they feel is their normal self feel scared. Such resistances cause us to create awful dreams and fears as a means of avoiding our own huge inner world and its wonders. We feel that we will be swallowed up and we will die. It is important to say that when we meet the experience of powerlessness through becoming aware of the hugeness of your Life, which we are usually unaware if, it feels like something alien or it is attacking, and it is a shock.
When we begin to meet the Hugeness that we are, we often react to it in our dreams or in waking with fear or panic. So we dream of being attacked by aliens or frightening creatures; or being swallowed by a whale or something huge, a tsunami, or even possessed by evil entities. If we realise that they are things we have created through our own fear we will pass on.
This is all explained in Genesis - it is understandable of we change God for The huge experience that we lived in before we developed self awareness through language. See
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the         garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

Naked because up till the start of self awareness they had been guided and protected by the immense world of the unconscious or what we call instincts. After that enormous step they had to depend on their own limited awareness. The fear was of being 'swallowed up' again into the enormous awareness of God/the unconscious. So the story of Jonah swallowed by a whale is about a human small awareness being lost for a while in the enormous ocean and whale. He was initiated into the huge and also maintained his ego.

See also http://dreamhawk.com/interesting-people/animal-children/#Program And if you feel like exploring more see the whole series at the start of Dream Dictionary http://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/the-discovery-of-dreams/

Tony