Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dream about a desolate house  (Read 6323 times)

kamaste

• View Profile
Dream about a desolate house
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:21 AM »
Hello Tony,
I do not remember dreams for the most part, but this one stuck.
I dreamt of a desolate, empty house. The doors and windows were open and swinging a bit in the wind, quite like in a horror movie. Out of the house I could sense coming darkness and emptiness. The “garden” was surrounded by a stone-wall. The sky was heavy with dark clouds. I was very scared of the house in my dream. I was just looking how to get away from that place. Looking around I saw that the entrance into the garden was standing open, swinging lonely in the wind like the windows and doors of the desolate house. I started running towards that garden-door. Then I woke up.
I may add that Im going through a very difficult period in my life for some months now.

Having asked myself about the meaning of the meaning of the dream some things came up:
As I read from your website, houses may refer to our "self" so that "desolation" is not to be found somewhere "outside of me". Taking that a step further it means to me that part of myself feels "empty" or desolate, something which I have to admit is at times true also the feeling of loneliness. I am also reminded of a verse in the Bible which states (I paraphrase here): If a man has been freed from a "demon" and he cleans his house up and makes it look all nice but it is EMPTY than "demons" much worse than those that left him will come to dwell in the house. But honestly this "interpretation" touches exactly my deepest fears at the moment.

The most sense to me makes the feeling that there is something like a dark, empty spot in me which longs to be filled...but I run away or leave it desolate.

I would appreciate what you have to say.
Thank you for your time and effort!
Kind Regards,
Andrea

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Dream about a desolate house
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
Andrea – Many years ago I was present at a therapy session and had what amounted to a waking dream/vision. The man who was the subject was lying on the floor and I could see he was dying – psychologically. This so drew my attention I went closer to him and saw that his whole American culture was plastered on him like so many layers of veneer. When I looked at it and saw how dead he was it scared me, so I went in search for anything alive.

And there is was, like a small flame that had been covered but not extinguished. I saw that his culture had been learned and taken on without any of it being given to the small flame of life. Without the transformation life could bring, any knowledge was deadening rather that enlivening. I saw also that that flame needs to transform knowledge or our culture into life that grows. Like a plant take up nourishment form the soil and turns it into the living ti0ssues of its body, so we need to expose all of our experience and learning to the process of life, otherwise we start to die – as a plant does.

This death we call depression, fear, loneliness, and all the other forms of disorder we see in our society.

I feel certain you understand your dream. As for what you can do about it, it is difficult to communicate because people are so out of touch with Life.

What I can suggest, and might be difficult for you to believe in it at first, is that the living flame is there in everybody and can transform all our experience. But it doing so it burns through it, bringing it all to consciousness and making it alive. And when that happens it is wonderful though it may take some time to complete.

There are several ways to start. I think the simplest is as follows:

This is not about a belief, such as a belief in God. Remember that dreams arise, your existence arises, from a process you may label in some way but barely know about. You do not have to believe in your existence. You are convinced of it because you exist.

Do you think you know everything about whatever it is that causes you to exist? For instance although we now know a great deal about life processes in biological science, that science still sees life as a mystery. Can you take that attitude to your own origins? Can you accept that at the base of your being is a mystery?

Try this simple approach to get closer to this. Sit quietly where you will not be disturbed for a minute or so. Close your eyes, become aware of your breathing, then put your hand under your clothes so you can feel your heart beating.

There you have it. The conscious you is touching and directly experiencing in a quiet moment how that mystery we call life is right there in every moment of your being spontaneously giving you existence. You are touching the unconscious you. You can feel it moving right under your hand. You know it is not your conscious will, knowledge or beliefs that are pulsing that beautiful movement. Right now life is breathing you and beating your heart. And that is just the very evident surface signs of what it is doing. Feel it! Do you really fully understand that? Isn't that an amazing miracle and mystery? Wouldn't it be wise and wonderful to get to know that mystery directly and more fully?

So open to that mystery that you are, without any preconceptions. Of course you will feel that nothing is happening. But it is an amazing moment, and the journey has begun.

Read also http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/the-lifestream/

Tony

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
Andrea - Sorry, I got carried away with what I was trying to say in my last post and forgot an important point about your dream.

It is that an empty and deserted house is representing feelings about or fear of death. Please remember that change is coming and so do not enter that house without a friend beside you. And if you can get any help from what I mentioned then you will pass through that house; it is a necessary part of our growth toward understanding who we are.

Tony

kamaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
Hello Tony,

thank you for your lengthy reply!

I can relate to what you wrote, especially about getting in touch with the mystery of who we are. And yes, I agree, it is a mystery. The little meditation about feeling the heart-beat you offered helps getting in touch with that "impersonal" Life-God which is the background of all living...and once you think of it...there is blood streaming through the body, the breath, the digestion....basically everything is maintained by a perfect divine order in which the little conscious part does not have any say but can just stand in Awe and wonder. Guess that is the meaning of worship.

And fear of death...yep...little me got to make place for Mystery and does not like it, to lose control. And fear does create fearful pictures. So that is how I see that "desolate house" now...as an image my fear creates of what is in truth probably the most wonderful thing. Yes, it is a necessary part of growth to pass through that house and see it for what it really IS. Even if I walk through the shadow of death (shadows are not something real!) though art with me...its all good!

Thank you again for helping me on my journey and especially for your loving, respectful approach.
Be blessed in your work!

Andrea