Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bottom Step is Alligator  (Read 6455 times)

Quedeedee

• View Profile
Bottom Step is Alligator
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »
Last night I had this very vivid dream:  I was in my classroom (Teacher in real life) and dismissed my students.  I exited the back door of my classroom and discovered that the classroom was actually inside a mountain cabin in the middle of the woods (a real, idyllic place I had visited with my husband many years ago, before we were married).  As I stepped down 3 steps onto the forest floor, I felt a little confused and I looked back and saw that my classroom was still there, empty and unchanged.  Turning toward the woods, I saw a hammock close by and decided to rest. As I started to sit, I saw my husband coming out of the cabin to join me.  He also stepped down the 3 steps toward me, but instead of the last step, there was now an alligator!  I tried to warn him, but it was too late and he had already stepped onto the alligator's head, angering it so that it thrashed about and bit his leg to the bone.  I felt instantly guilty as though I should have been faster; I should have been able to warn him.  I rushed toward him, feeling helpless and not sure what to do, then awoke with a start.

Any ideas?

Dakota

• View Profile
Re: Bottom Step is Alligator
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
I think this is a wonderful dream to mine. Alligators are often symbols of fertility and female powers. They are incredibly strong, agile and confident in both the watery (emotional) world as well as on land (the physical realm). They are ancient inhabitants of this planet and with them carry that wisdom. Stepping out of the House (familiar territory) down literally into older, hidden or secretive emotions is something to explore.

Quedeedee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
I feel alot of fear associated with alligators in my dreams; they appear regularly.  In the past, I have been inclined to interpret as hidden danger, but interesting to think about fertility because of the pregnancy dream I had the same week (another post).

I wondered about the theme of "leaving" too:  dismissed students and they left, I left, stepping down, my husband left later - hidden concerns about retirement?   Leaving my all-consuming job and re-entering a time shared as a couple?  Am I going at this way too literally?

With the fertility idea, and leaving behind my students (my "kids"), could it be related to thinking about entering menopause sometime in my future?
Do I view my female powers as somehow dangerous to my husband, hurtful even, and is that where the guilt comes in?

Hmmmmm....lots to think about.  Anyone have ideas?

Aristocrates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »
why might your female powers be considered hurtful or dangerous by your husband? 

Dakota

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Here is an excerpt from something Tony wrote in another dream interp (Was it a dream?) regarding crocodile mothers:

"Western science has in the past painted a picture for us that suggested nature and the universe is one vast impersonal and almost mechanical process. When you travel beyond the frontier of your own personality and contact the life that gives you existence, a completely different viewpoint emerges. What you find is the mysterious love that leads a crocodile mother to carry her babies in her mouth unharmed. You discover the wonder that drives birds to fly hundreds or thousands of miles to an exact location to mate again with their dedicated partner. You meet the indescribable beauty that lies behind a flower’s miracle of colour and intricacy. You meet the creative impulse of the universe that has woven your being throughout eternity. You exist beyond Time and Space."  TC

The full entry is worth reading.

Blessings....

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
Quedeedee - Of course alligators are fearful, they can grab you when you least expect it and carry you into the depths of yourself.

The whole set of the dream shows you walking out of a normal situation and entering a natural scene. In other words you moved from normal everyday feelings into your inner world. It is interesting to me that you didn't lose sight of the classroom as the transition took place.

You must remember that your husband in your dream is not your actual husband. He is a collection of your feelings and memories about him. So is the dream a threat to the good things in your life, or does he represent helpful strength? In the dream he is vulnerable.

The alligator can represent a hidden form of treachery, apparently harmless until it opens its mouth to eat us. Another attack from deep within can be from repressed emotions. But considering the first part of your dream where you entered into yourself, it can better be seen as what we feel when we confront the collective unconscious. This is an experience of your personal awareness being intimately linked with others, living and dead. In other words the merged consciousness of humanity and life.

As I said early today to Midlander, we our little conscious self is only a tiny part of who we are, and so confronting a massive expansion of awareness can be felt as an attack. But find out for yourself by using the approach mentioned in http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/acting-in-your-dream/

Tony