Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hostage, Fire, Storm  (Read 4260 times)

PrimaMateria

• View Profile
Hostage, Fire, Storm
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:40:32 PM »
I pretty much get the idea of this dream sequence, as I feel that this is a somewhat commentary of how I've been feeling and my thoughts. You'll see this in my commentary. But I am wondering if you can provide any additional helpful insight. I'm starting to see a pattern in my dreams in that they appear as commentaries, not so much as "instructions" on what to do, the latter of which I wish were the case because I feel the need some inner guidance for my life. But if you have any insight on any other hidden meaning I may have missed, I would gladly appreciate it :), unless you feel that I have extrapolated it thoroughly enough.

It appeared as if some people were being held hostage. I and a few men arrived to rescue them. I was in charge of restraining the guy who seemed to be the head hostage-taker. He was a little guy. I tied his hands behind him and held him in place, then tied him to something firm. He kept managing to undo the knots, which I had to tie again. To keep him from doing that I had the thought to cut off one of his fingers so he wouldn't be able to undo the rope if this continued. I don't remember actually doing this, though.
(I feel that this is a commentary on my thoughts and feelings about my feelings being held hostage by my "lower self" (the little guy). I, and a few other strong men, are sent to save these "people" from hostage. I tied up the "little guy" (ego), but he always manages to get loose. Interestingly, in the dream he gets loose, but he stays in the same place. But I don't trust him, I've seen what he's done, so I need to keep him tied, even if it means I need to cut off his finger in pain... which is an attitude I do have with myself: "do this even if it will hurt like hell".)

Then I dreamed there was a building on fire, and people in it needed saving. It was a dreadful chaotic scene. A firetruck with firemen arrived to save the people, as much as possible, but it was too much, too much chaos (reminded me of 9-11). I remember seeing a teddy bear, one of the firemen took it out and saved it... for some reason this was important.
(Commentary of feeling that the various "I"s in my soul or psyche are perishing, as if in hell. They need salvation, in a sense, hence the firemen, but they can't handle all of this chaos. The teddy bear, perhaps my most innocent childlike part of myself, and its various implications, was perhaps the priority.)

Then another dream with a building that also was on fire with people in it. But in this one no one was there to save them. A few may have escaped, but everyone perished. I saw the people as "lights", as if souls, behind the walls of the building screaming and burning. I stopped being an objective observer in the dream when I noticed a storm coming and the sky getting dark. A woman led me to an underground cellar just in time. Then the great storm came and washed everything away—the burning building, the people, everything—leaving behind just a bare field.
(The people, the various "selves", feelings, are left to perish. Perhaps this is needed as a purification—an image of inner purgatory. The final storm comes and washes everything away, leaving a bare field with lower cropped grass. But the atmosphere was still dark, because I still feel uncertain about things. The woman who took me to the underground cellar may be a wise guide. And the symbolism of going underground could mean death for rebirth).

Then I remember it being night, and I being led behind a house out of a yard by what seemed to be a woman. She was keeping me from being distracted, as at one point I wanted to say hello to some girls I saw along the way out of curiousity, but she called to me and I returned to her. Before I went out the gate I passed a cow and her calf.
(The house and yard is the situation I want to come out of: the confines of a place—situation and circumstance—I am used to and I need to go out and explore beyond its boundaries. I am led by a woman again, perhaps "wisdom" keeping me from "distractions". The cow and her calf is just symbolic of this.)

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Hostage, Fire, Storm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 08:47:33 AM »
PrimaMateria – “I tied up the "little guy" (ego), but he always manages to get loose.”

The word ego can have many meanings and depends who or what group is using it, so I am not sure what you meant. But I see the ‘little guy’ as an aspect of you that wants to be in control and have power to contain or direct. Another view is that our sense of self, our conscious personality that makes choices and decisions, when faced by the core self, tries to copy it, control it, deny it, and generally runs along trying to keep up with it – even though our central self is not moving. I see this as our conscious personality.

Personally, I don’t feel you need to struggle to contain the little guy. I know many people say you must kill out the ego, but it is only a smaller and immature part of ourselves and needs help to grow. Quoting from Mind and Movement, “...the essential urge to find a new way lay in the fact that the fundamental problem of the patient seemed insoluble to me unless violence was done to the one or the other side of his nature. I always worked with the temperamental conviction that in the last analysis there are no insoluble problems, and experience has so far justified me in that I have often seen individuals who simply outgrew a problem which had destroyed others. This ‘outgrowing’, as I called it previously, revealed itself on further experience to be the raising of the level of consciousness”. Jung

The enormous fires and deaths are a sign of enormous changes going on mostly within you. In dreams fire and death are seen as quite differently to our everyday feelings about it. Fire doesn’t destroy in dreams, it can’t because nothing is lost but simply transforms and energy is released. So you are transforming many old ways of feeling and living.

Then the storm is a cleansing action. The woman guide seems to be a part of many dreams about the search for self-realisation. In Dante’s travels as he explores heaven Paradise Beatrice guides him. So it seems the woman in your dream is your inner Beatrice.

Tony