Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Brother and I  (Read 8834 times)

Aristocrates

• View Profile
My Brother and I
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »
My brother is currently visiting the beach.  Last night I dreamt that we both stood on a surfboard and paddled across a bay and back.  It was very enjoyable.  I know it sounds pretty plain.  I suppose the interpretation is obvious, that I want to be there with him.  Something else strange happened earlier in the dream however.  I coughed up a gritty brown substance, a rather large amount.  I've had bit of a cough all summer.  Maybe my body is telling me to pay more attention to it.  

Edit: The first dream I put up for interpretation is in the general discussion forum.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:46:43 PM by Aristocrates »

Christine

• View Profile
Re: My Brother and I
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:30 AM »
Surfing can represent riding or managing your feelings instead of letting them ride or control you...responding rather than reacting.

It is interesting that you are both on the same surfboard rather than separate ones.

Maybe you were coughing up sand at the beginning of your dream.

The sequence in the dream might mean that you recently worked through some sort of conflict with your brother or you worked it out yourself internally.

Hope this is helpful.

Midlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
Yes, my initial reaction to this dream is that something was 'sticking in your throat' and making it impossible for you to communicate with your brother. Once it was coughed up, the waters of emotions are smooth and something you can enjoy together, rather than be overwhelmed by.

Dakota

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:53 AM »
Aristocrates,

Please do pay attention to your cough. Often dreams will help us unearth physical issues that we are not seeing/addressing in our waking life. Maybe go back into the dream and recreate the situation where you are coughing up the sand and explore it a bit. Having a continual cough is never a good thing. This is a good prompt to check it out.

Aristocrates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:29:04 AM »
I will try to pay attention.  I know that I don't have the vitality I did just three years ago. I did see the doctor about my cough.  She told me to take Allegra for a couple weeks and to see how that helped.  I never did take the medicine.  I don't see the benefit of taking allergy medicine everyday.  I don't know, maybe that's all I needed. 

Midlander, I didn't make it clear that the coughing episode was separate from the surfing sequence.  I like how you associated it with having communication difficulties.  Communication in general is something that frustrates me.  I find that I do my best communicating in writing, but extremely lack in conversation.

Dakota

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
Aristocrates, did I see in another post that you mentioned your diet? And that perhaps it isn't full of whole fresh foods. Perhaps you can look at what and how you are eating to explore that cough. You may have a food allergy and I agree medication is not necessarily the best way to deal with that, but you should do something. Perhaps you could see a nutritionist, or read up on whole foods. Getting that brown guck out, whatever it is, out of your system should be a priority!
Best, D

Christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Sometimes a cough stuck in the throat can be something you are having trouble expressing...like hurt, anger, grief, resentment, loss. 

If I have a dream that I want to explore further, before I go back to sleep either that night or the next...I will ask myself a question and sometimes the answer will come in the next dream.  If you ask yourself "what do I need to cough up"? you might get an answer or start a new sequence of dreams that represents what it is about.   

Often I will dream at night about what happened during that days events...sometimes they are a preminition for the next day.  That might be all the dream represents.

Midlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »
Midlander, I didn't make it clear that the coughing episode was separate from the surfing sequence.  I like how you associated it with having communication difficulties.  Communication in general is something that frustrates me.  I find that I do my best communicating in writing, but extremely lack in conversation.

I often wonder whether 'separate episodes' within one dream sequence are separate or relate to each other. They often appear very separate but I have the feeling sometimes that I'm being shown a whole series of illustrations and that they all actually relate to one situation - even if I can't see how they link up.

Aristocrates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:43 AM »
You're probably right.  Plus, I did describe it as gritty.  So, it definitely makes sense that it was sand.