Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 5535 times)

Kecia

• View Profile
Snakes
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
I dreamed there were lots of snakes coiled up on the floor of my kitchen.  I saw one large snake eat another one headfirst.  My tiny dog (Otis, no more with me) was very brave trying to drive out the snakes by barking and snapping his teeth at them, but the snakes were much larger than my dog, and I was afraid for him.  I yelled at him to come away.  I lifted my chest and tilted my face up and howled just as loud as I could to try to overcome the quiet-voice of dream.  I was terrified my little dog would be swallowed up.

I saw my dad in a wheelchair, which was a terrible feeling.  I do not like to remember my dad as frail.  I warned him about the snakes in the kitchen.  I was afraid for him, too.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Snakes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:38 AM »
Kecia – In dreams you are in a totally different world than you know through waking life. Ancient people knew more about than we do today. For example, lots of snakes are a wonderful sign in dreams, but of course your felt fear instead of wonder. Even so you reverted to an animal roar, a sign that you have the animal instinct functioning.

Whenever we dream its images are not like real life, because a dream is nothing like outer life where things could hurt you, but is an image like on a cinema screen that even if a gun is pointed at you and fired it can do no damage – except if you run in fear; so all the things that scare you are simply your own fears projected onto the screen of your sleeping mind.

It is also important to realise that every image, every scary or terrifying thing, is taken place inside you, in your mind, as you sleep. This means that every awful animal, every scary thing or person, is created out of your own fears and must not be seen as outside you as happens in waking awareness. The problem is that we are often scared of or frightened of actually experiencing our emotions and so they confront us in our dreams. Avoiding them or controlling them is like running away from oneself – there is no escape.

In the dream world anything that is eaten does not die, but becomes a living part of what eats it – like integration. But your fear held you back from knowing the tremendous life energy of the snakes. I have a picture in  http://dreamhawk.com/interesting-people/tonys-photos-two/ of a thousand headed serpent making a bed for Vishnu, showing relaxation and love. It is at the bottom of the page.

Your feelings about your dad where probably also produced by your fear reaction. To try imaging the whole dream without fear. You may need to practice it a number of time to change your fear into pleasure. Try using http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/secrets-power-dreaming/

Tony

Kecia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
Thank you, Tony, for taking the time to comment on my dream.  My sleep has been greatly disturbed by Daylight Savings Time as usual.  My dream time has been sharply curtailed, and I do not like to spend it dreaming of frightening things. 

I have felt "howl-y" lately, even sometimes throwing back my head and laughing like a madwoman at ordinary things that suddenly seem outrageously ludicrous.  As I get older, there are more and more of those.  ;)  Yesterday, I wandered in to where my husband was watching basketball on T.V., and gave him a peck on the cheek, and said, "I love you."  The look he gave me sent me into gales of laughter.  I staggered around wiping tears from my eyes, and now I could not say exactly what I thought of his expression, but it was very funny to me at the time.

It did feel good to howl in my dream, and none of us were hurt.  If I could accept the snakes and my dad as frail, I suppose that would be progress on my-self.

Thank you again for your time and attention.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
You said, "As I get older, there are more and more of those."

I notice as people get older, in many cases they let go of things that were holding back their feeling reactions. To me, your howling was an expression of what I call your Life Streaming through you.

If you let it carry on it will lead you on a wonderful journey into yourself. The journey is a bit like the journey of the Greek heroes, all symbolised by the wonderful, strange, scary things we meet.

Have a look at http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/opening-to-life/

Tony