Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Black Dog  (Read 6487 times)

Aristocrates

• View Profile
Black Dog
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »
This dream was like an Astral projection.  I was sleeping on one end of the house and I immediately woke up and headed toward the opposite end where all the kids were sleeping.  I went through the den and turned the corner into a hallway where a big black dog was running aggressively toward me. He took a few quick steps and leapt toward my chest.  Before he made contact I woke up.  The dream was quite spooky to me at the time. I moved rooms from where I was sleeping.  I was in a state where I could've so easily began to lucid dream but I kept myself up for a few minutes to shake myself out of it.  Kinda regret not seeing where it would've taken me.  Though the dream was a bit of a shock initially it seemed in the following hours and days to stabilize me as well as make me more vigilant.  This has been a little confusing to me since the black dog, from what I've seen and heard, is customarily  considered a bad omen.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:04:11 AM by Aristocrates »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Black Dog
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Aristocrates – It is a step in coming to terms with your real self. A black dog is simply a black dog; it is your reaction to it that counts – you woke up as an escape from meeting it. Below is an example of a man who demonstrates a different way of meeting it.

Example: I walked down a slope to where the centre of the haunting existed. It was an open space with an old double-decker bus in it. To my right a short distance from the bus an animal that was the ‘haunter’. It was a mammal of no particular type - a bit like a mixture of dog, rat and guinea pig. It seemed very ordinary and tame, and stood looking at me. I walked toward it and stretched out my hand. It was a tan colour with short fur and gave a feeling of being okay to approach, so I touched it to stroke. This was okay and I was thinking there was no problem when the creature leapt at my throat in a flash of movement and ripped my throat out.

This sounds disturbing but I simply observed this and thought to myself that stroking and trying to be friendly was no way of dealing with this thing. It was as if I was in command of the imagery in that I simply formed another body. The only way that felt as if I might deal with the creature was to have the meditative state of holding on to the nothingness that was my centre, and not feeling panic at its attacks. In fact, apart from the gory imagery, there was nothing to be frightened of, as the creature was only attacking my dream image of myself. As I wasn’t identified with this, it couldn’t hurt me. That was the end of the dream.

Of course the man could have taken the next step of trying to find out what the imagery signified – which he did later.

Your black dog, if you allowed it to land on you/enter you, – for anything approaching you in a dream is becoming more conscious – you may have felt your own feeling of aggressiveness.

See http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/opening-to-life/ and http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/dream-yoga/

Tony

Christine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
I have had the black dog dreams when I felt aggressive towards someone.  It was usually not bad in itself.  The last time I was in a situation that I needed to protect myself and things were moving so fast  that I did not realize how defensive I was feeling.  I was able to direct the aggression in that particular situation. Sometimes my dreams have reflected that change in me.  For example, the black dog in my dreams changed into two very well trained huskies who were waiting for me to command them.  Mush!

Aristocrates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:03 AM »
I have indeed had heightened levels of aggression in the months following my twins birth.  Their mother berated me on a daily basis throughout her pregnancy.  I believe it was due to deep feelings of uncertainty and insecurity on her part but the things she said to me cut so deep every time.  I would not wish the sort of ridicule I sustained on anyone.  She demanded every minute of my time and also that I account for any minute I was not with her.  I capitulated repeatedly because I felt it was best for the twins that I appease their mother.  All the while aggressiveness was being incubated inside of me and the day they were born, so was this aggressive side of me that I had not felt with such intensity since childhood.  And these feelings have not gone away.  I'm still filled with venom. 

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »

Christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »
I am guilty of the same behavior with my ex - husband.  It was about my relationship with my father, men in general, fear in general, fears about myself, and not really about my husband or our relationship.  For me it was an emotional response from my amygdala.  Fight or flight. You and she may come to a point where you can talk about it, cry about it, reassure each other and let it go.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:35:52 PM by Christine »