Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quantity  (Read 7089 times)

Omega

• View Profile
Quantity
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
Sometimes I wake up and just feel so annoyed.. Can't my subconscious be more concise?

Dream after dream after dream, mundane, hectic, profound, powerful..what a torrent.. but not very selective.

So I pick out the most powerful moment and focus on that. Still I find the sheer busyness, scene after scene, a bit too much..

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Quantity
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
Omega – Without conversing with you it is difficult to be sure, but I wonder whether you have read http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/example-15-life-changes/

Also I am not sure if this helps, but people tend to live in and through their thoughts, and I wonder if that is what you do. They take their thinking so seriously, yet thoughts and words are never the things they indicate. They are like photo copies of real thing, false copies of reality. Although language is wonderful and if we are raised in a language it seems a natural flowing thing – but it is only our associations that we are dealing with.

This came home to me strongly when I had a very serious stroke that paralysed my right side, knocked out my ability to speak, and I lost control of my bladder – in fact lost control. I describe what happened when I began to be conscious again -

From that point on I feel I was aware of what was happening around me, and what was said even though I couldn’t respond verbally. But an extraordinary and unexpected thing had occurred; I was in a state of wonderful and deeply felt peace. Gradually I realised what had happened and described it as existing under a ceiling of words and speech, a ceiling that cut out awareness of words, and so freed me of all the conflicts, decision making, and social mannerisms that arose from being lost in words and the thoughts that arise from them. I experienced it almost as a visual thing, this great ceiling above which was the complicated world of speech, and under which was great peace. It was literally peace that passeth understanding – for understanding comes from words – whereas this was beyond it, a direct experience of being.

Of course, from their point of view I probably looked a mess, as due to the stroke the right side of my face, so I have been told, was still sagging. But I wasn’t aware of that – just peace and calm love.

I am not sure about how to teach a person how to stop thinking because people have different responses to things. Some years ago while using slow breathing I suddenly broke through to life without thoughts/words. It was an amazing experience, for I saw how limited the thinking mind is, and what vast stretches of experience lay beyond. See http://dreamhawk.com/body-and-mind/the-slow-breath/

Another way is to learn relaxation of our muscular system, and when learnt apply it to put self awareness by relaxing/dropping activity within you. See http://dreamhawk.com/health-and-healing/lessons-in-relaxation-part-3/

Tony

Omega

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »
Thank-you very much Tony,

Emm do I live in and through my thoughts versus direct experience?
 I definitely have done a lot of thinking, as a form of trying to keep safe. 

I'm not sure I understand 'direct experience', if life is my 'externalised energies'.. Is it meeting those energies honestly, emotionally..? Can the dreamer themselves have the two options of thinking or experiencing, to different degrees, within the dream world?

I think deep relaxation should make a difference.

And maybe I just need to accept that these energies are the way they need to be and that my job is to keep letting them surface. And that with time they will become less jarring and overwhelming. And that I will become more empowered in my dreams and therefore less tossed about on their seas?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Omega - Recent findings about how our mind and brain works say that we never have a direct experience of an outside world but live in our own translations of it.

To quote - Science says that the outer world we are so certain is the real world, is not so solidly real as we believe. To quote a recent report, “Color, for instance: That azalea outside the window may look red to you, but in reality it has no color at all. The red comes from certain properties of the azalea that absorb some kinds of light and reflect other kinds of light, which are then received by the eye and transformed in our brains into a subjective experience of red.

We live in a subjective world of our own, a very unique personal world largely conditioned by our associations and language. If it is true, and my understanding of dreams, suggests it is, it is a difficult truth to accept. We all live in a very personal inner world - that is why it is so important to deal with it. See http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/inner-world/

Tony

Omega

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
So what I understand from this, is the goal is quite literally awareness - that is the 'direct experience' of the self. That example of consciousness/unconscious awareness from Jung is fascinating.

Thankyou

Oh I had a dream that might relate I'll add it shortly

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
Awareness is the key. It transforms anything you consider.

Tony