Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rape  (Read 5098 times)

miemoo

• View Profile
Rape
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:34:26 PM »
Are there any links for understanding dreams about rape? I feel traumatised by it. In my dream I watched it happening to someone else but I felt everything as if it were me.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Rape
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
Miemoo - You could look it up by searching for Rape in the Dream Dictionary.

Here it is:

This can mean you are overcome by events, by other people dominating you, or by your own internal unwanted emotions.

Rape in dreams is very different from rape in real life, as we create our own dream, so why introduce rape? Perhaps in the example below Mrs B. discovers her own power in the situation as she realises the weakness of the male.

Example: ‘I tried to turn but my legs were like lead. The man caught me and I fought. He tried to rape me but couldn’t do it. As I talked to him I began to feel sorry for him and not frightened. I realised that inside he was a nice person. In the end I found I liked him so much I began to kiss him myself.’ Mrs J.B.

Example: ‘A man is trying to make love and at the last moment I repel him as I know it will cause a pregnancy. When I was about ten I was raped and for many years had a fear of men.’ Anon.

This is the other side of rape. Rape in this dream may be memories, the effects of that are still visible in the life of this dreamer, causing her pain in warm sexuality.

Example: ‘The Devil attacked a woman. He was invisible. The woman turned black as he raped her. She didn’t die. At this point I woke and went to the toilet. On returning to bed I continued the dream, particularly wondering what I was in conflict with in the image of the Devil. I found it disturbing and frightening to be confronted by such a powerful opponent. Partly because of the rape, I realised it was repressed sexuality. I then approached the ‘black’ woman with tenderness and this transformed the Devil into available sexual or emotional energy. I tried this again and again. Each time it worked, and I could observe the Devil was my sexual warmth and love that had become negative through restraint.’ Neil V.

In this male dream, it is the conflict with his sexuality that causes the ‘devilish’ rape. When he can find tenderness the negative aspect disappears. Rape also depicts the real evil of another person disregarding our personal needs and feelings, abusing not only the body, but particularly the ‘person’. Being raped by someone known: Feeling anxious about sex with them; fighting off desire for them.

This can mean you are overcome by events, by other people dominating you, or by your own internal unwanted emotions.

Rape in dreams is very different from rape in real life, as we create our own dream, so why introduce rape? Perhaps in the example below Mrs B. discovers her own power in the situation as she realises the weakness of the male.

Example: ‘I tried to turn but my legs were like lead. The man caught me and I fought. He tried to rape me but couldn’t do it. As I talked to him I began to feel sorry for him and not frightened. I realised that inside he was a nice person. In the end I found I liked him so much I began to kiss him myself.’ Mrs J.B.

Example: ‘A man is trying to make love and at the last moment I repel him as I know it will cause a pregnancy. When I was about ten I was raped and for many years had a fear of men.’ Anon.

This is the other side of rape. Rape in this dream may be memories, the effects of that are still visible in the life of this dreamer, causing her pain in warm sexuality.

Example: ‘The Devil attacked a woman. He was invisible. The woman turned black as he raped her. She didn’t die. At this point I woke and went to the toilet. On returning to bed I continued the dream, particularly wondering what I was in conflict with in the image of the Devil. I found it disturbing and frightening to be confronted by such a powerful opponent. Partly because of the rape, I realised it was repressed sexuality. I then approached the ‘black’ woman with tenderness and this transformed the Devil into available sexual or emotional energy. I tried this again and again. Each time it worked, and I could observe the Devil was my sexual warmth and love that had become negative through restraint.’ Neil V.

In this male dream, it is the conflict with his sexuality that causes the ‘devilish’ rape. When he can find tenderness the negative aspect disappears. Rape also depicts the real evil of another person disregarding our personal needs and feelings, abusing not only the body, but particularly the ‘person’. Being raped by someone known: Feeling anxious about sex with them; fighting off desire for them.

Occasionally some rape dreams are traced back to sexual assault by the father when young, or another member of the family. Here is a quote from the book Dreams and Sex by Dr. Gayle Delaney.

The terror Deborah felt in this dream was so great that it led to her recall of incest with her father thirty years earlier. When she told her sister about the dream and the memories, her sister refused to talk to her. But later her sister confirmed that she had experienced similar nightmares and memories. Both had worried that they might be falsely accusing their father of incest, but after a few months of therapy, they decided to confront their parents and found solid confirmation of the abuse.  I have written about it because there are so many adults who have been abused as children and do not yet know either what to do about it or that they have plenty of company among others who were abused and are still ashamed.

Useful Questions and Hints:

Was I raped in the dream?

If so did I fight successfully or unsuccessfully?

Was it a frightening experience?

How did you deal with it?

But here is a helpful response given by auntyflo:

When you dream of rape, this can be a reaction to your own past trauma that was either sexual abuse or molestation. If you have had a past experience of abuse or trauma, then the reliving of this event in your own dream can be a way that your mind is trying to work out what you have been put through.
 Assuming that you have not had any kind of abuse or have been raped, then the dream of rape can actually mean many things, ranging from a desire to lose control, taboo thoughts, or even an unconscious desire to be violated. To dream that you have been raped, suggests a sadistic expression of sexual desire. You should not feel guilty or disturbed by these dreams as the dream does not always have a negative connotation. Understand that, these types of dreams can be quite powerful and moving though, and often they cause a visceral reaction once you wake up.
In this dream you may have...
• Witnessed someone being raped.
• Raped someone.
• Been a victim to rape.
• Heard about a rape circle or rapist on the loose.
• Been afraid of being raped.
• Felt like you deserved to be raped or like you were asking to be raped.
• Wanted to be raped.
• Threatened or were threatened with rape.
• Recovered from rape.
• Talked about rape.
• Felt powerless in a sexual situation.
• Been sexually frustrated.

Positive changes are afoot if…
• You survived rape.
• You saved someone from being raped.
• You raped someone who was willing (which is not rape but rather, rape re-enactment).

Detailed dream meaning...
 It’s normal to be freaked out by a dream of rape, but believe it or not these kinds of dreams are more common that you might thing. The psyche often has to work on issues of power and control and when there is a situation in your waking world which needs immediate resolve. Sometimes you will get a powerful message through your dream. When you dream of being raped this is a call to you that you are having control taken from you and now is the time to fight back. If you are dealing with a legal battle such as custody or divorce or feeling like you are being gravely taken advantage of then this is not a time to try and play nice. Now is the time to act and demand that your personal needs are met and that you will be given what you deserve. This kind of dream indicates that you need to gain the control in the situation back before you are screwed, literally.
 If you are the rapist in a dream, then this is a desire for more control as well. Your mind is acting out you taking control in a form of power and dominance. Of course, this doesn’t mean you need to go around raping people in real life, but you should consider ways in which you should be more assertive, confident, or willful.

Saving someone or helping someone after a rape is a good omen for your life. While the dream can be traumatic because you are witnessing someone being open or having to take charge to protect others, this is a sign of positive energy in your life. Often these kinds of dreams are about your own worries of other people, but they indicate that you have the strength to take care of what needs to be taken care of.
 Sometimes rape dreams are a sign of pregnancy. Weird and crazy dreams are common during pregnancy and the mind tends to be overactive when there are a lot of hormones. Again, do not be concerned with these dreams, but consider what areas of your life need to be simplified so that you can cut down on stress.
 If you were raped in a dream but you survived and fought back, consider ways where you are overcoming your own barriers in life. These kinds of dreams are perhaps the scariest because you feel like they are real and you experience the rape from beginning to end and it can feel as if you were really violated. Often there are ways in which you are being threatened or taken advantage of and you feel that perhaps you are making a big deal out of a situation. When you are reacting this way in your dreams chances are that your own fears about a person or situation are founded and you should keep up your guard.
This dream is in association with the following scenarios in your life...

• Feeling taken advantage of.
• Having no power or control in your life.
• Being concerned about your family or loved ones.
• Letting go.

Feelings that you may have encountered during a dream of rape…
 Terrified. Scared. Dominant. Powerful. Powerless. Used. Dirty. Deserving. Determined. Alarmed. Caution. Accusatory. Angry. Violated. Taken Advantage Of. Mean.

Tony
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:40:24 AM by Tony Crisp »