Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keeping up appearances?  (Read 6178 times)

Mikey22

• View Profile
Keeping up appearances?
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »
I have had a couple of dreams this week that I think are touching upon the same thing, though I am not sure what it is.
In the first dream, my wife was cutting the lawn, but the mower had stalled.  She asked for my help, and I was unable to get it started again despite various attempts and adjusting the carburetor. 
In the second dream, which I had last night, I was moving into a college dorm with an old friend of mine.  We needed to build a landing on the inside of the dorm room and we were at a lumber supply store getting what materials we needed.  Twice during this process, I stopped to brush my teeth.  The toothpaste was very foamy and thick, and when I tried to spit it was so sticky I could not get it out of my mouth.  When I woke I was not afraid nor did I have any overwhelming emotion associated with either dream.  Perhaps just a bit of confusion. 
Both lawn mowing and teeth brushing seem to be about keeping up appearances to me, but there is some strange twist in both dreams that I am not grasping.
It may also be worth noting that I do carpentry work for a living.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:30:35 PM by Mikey22 »

- anna -

• View Profile
Re: Keeping up appearances?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »

Perhaps just a bit of confusion. 
Both lawn mowing and teeth brushing seem to be about keeping up appearances to me, but there is some strange twist in both dreams that I am not grasping.

Hi Mikey  :)

Your first dream may reflect that what used to motivate you to care for your appearance does not work for you anymore ("the mower had stalled")
The thing with motivations is that they are often unconscious, whereas intention (cutting the lawn) is a deliberate decision.

For instance your unconscious motivation to care for let's say your social appearance - by cutting the lawn; by tidying up your inner world - could be your desire that people would then see you in a way you would like to be perceived by others.

However, the way people see/perceive you may have nothing to do with you, but with the way they have created their own inner world, which inner world they may unconsciously project onto you.

See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/projection/
Freud felt that in projection thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings that we tend to avoid taking responsibility for as one’s own we tend to see them – project them – onto other people. This is sometimes called transference. This is a defence we use to avoid seeing the negative side of ourselves. So instead of seeing that we ourselves are an awful spreader of critical talk, we accuse others of doing it.

If doing your inner work repeatedly does not give you the (inner) reward you desire for, you may lose your motivation.

Questioning your motivation(s) and finding one that works for you to do your inner work and/or to care for your appearances may get your engine started again.

Anna

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »
Again Anna - Thank you.

Tony

- anna -

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
:)

Mikey22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:41:23 PM »
Thanks guys!!

fayton

• View Profile
    • Information and facts about animals
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »

Perhaps just a bit of confusion. 

Hi Mikey  :)

Your first dream may reflect that what used to motivate you to care for your appearance does not work for you anymore ("the mower had stalled")
The thing with motivations is that they are often unconscious, whereas intention (cutting the lawn) is a deliberate decision.

For instance your unconscious motivation to care for let's say your social appearance - by cutting the lawn; by tidying up your inner world - could be your desire that people would then see you in a way you would like to be perceived by others.

However, the way people see/perceive you may have nothing to do with you, but with the way they have created their own inner world, which inner world they may unconsciously project onto you.

See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/projection/
Freud felt that in projection thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings that we tend to avoid taking responsibility for as one’s own we tend to see them – project them – onto other people. This is sometimes called transference. This is a defence we use to avoid seeing the negative side of ourselves. So instead of seeing that we ourselves are an awful spreader of critical talk, we accuse others of doing it.

If doing your inner work repeatedly does not give you the (inner) reward you desire for, you may lose your motivation.

Questioning your motivation(s) and finding one that works for you to do your inner work and/or to care for your appearances may get your engine started again.

Anna

Nice, I will tell my dream as well if I remember

Zodiac Signs Personality Traits !! Hire WordPress Experts
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:31:50 PM by fayton »