Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Consciousness  (Read 9747 times)

Mithokey

• View Profile
Consciousness
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »
I woke up from a dream and had a thought about consciousness...

Could consciousness be universal like the internet, that we are all one and connected? Is consciousness everywhere and can be changed/altered? Are our brains like computers which pick up consciousness? I have had dreams of the future and I know many people can sometimes read others thoughts sometimes talk to others telepathicly like how we can pick up internet wirelessly.

Just some stuff I have been thinking about.

Leswan

• View Profile
Re: Consciousness
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
Yes, I'm inclined to think of consciousness in this way. In altered states I've 'been' other people, and I've enjoyed a shared out of body experience and shared dreams with somebody with whom I had a particularly close connection. Verifying the details of the dream with that person the next day was one of those spine-tingly moments of excitement and realisation that make life beautiful!

If you haven't seen it already watch Tom Campbell's lecture to The London School of Spirituality entitled My Big TOE, I think you'd get a lot out of it. You can find it on youtube.

Mithokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
Thanks! I'll look at it. I've been trying to have an OBE to experience what it's like and try to understand more about myself and life.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
Hi - I want to add a few things to what Leswan has so rightly said.

I know I am sometimes long winded but here is something to get on with.

Irish physicist John Stewart Bell put forward a quantum theorem that has revolutionised the way reality is considered. In brief, the theorem states that when two sub-microscopic particles are split and moved to a distance from each other, the action on, or of, particle ‘A’, is instantaneously reproduced with particle ‘B’. This interaction does not rely on any known link or communication and is considered to stand above normal physical laws of nature, as it is faster than light. Prior to such findings it was thought nothing could transcend the speed of light.

Nick Herbert, in an interview published in High Frontiers writes: ‘THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS that are being kept from the public as far as the subjects of physics and consciousness are concerned. Bell’s Theorem was proved in 1964, and it is still not taught in physics classes, and you don’t hear it on your science news programs. A theorem is a proof, and no one has found a flaw in this theorem. It’s such a simple proof that a high school kid can understand it. So physicists can understand it. They have various ways of trying to ignore it, but it can’t be refuted because it’s so simple.’
To quote Gary Zhukov, ‘Quantum mechanics is the theory. It has explained everything from subatomic particles to transistors to stellar energy. It has never failed. It has no competition.’
The implications of the theorem are enormous. Something can be in two places at once. Apparently distant objects, or people, are intricately linked in an immediate way. There is no separate existence as we previously thought. Our view of the world is not one supported by the facts of physics. Time and space are transcended. David Bohm, an eminent physicist, goes as far as to say that all things in our observable universe are inextricable linked. Nothing has separate existence.

Quantum physics, in demonstrating that two widely distant particles can immediately communicate, also punches a hole in the structure of the argument. If a simple particle can communicate beyond the speed of light, why not the consciousness of a human being?

While working with my friends John and Ann Clemence, who own the Capstone Hotel in Ilfracombe, Devon, I was helping to repair a flat roof on their house. The house is about a mile away from the hotel. As I was working on the roof, John told me that he was returning to the hotel. It had been a bitterly cold winter and John was gradually readying the hotel for the coming season. Time passed as I worked and suddenly I heard John shout my name twice. This seemed strange as I had not heard him return. The tone of his voice was very urgent, so I climbed from the roof and looked for him. I could not find him in the garden so looked through the house. He was nowhere to be seen. I stood puzzling over this for a few moments when the telephone rang in the house. Answering it I heard John excitedly shout my name twice, he had turned on the water mains in the hotel and discovered massive leaks due to frost damage. On discovering the leaks he had run from an upper floor to the telephone to get my help.

It seemed to me that John had mentally shouted my name as soon as he had seen the leaks. I heard that call over a mile away.

And here is someones experience at a deeper level.

"This has happened to me several times, and each time is similar. It is as though I have grown used to living in a room in a house. It is all I have ever known, so I take it that this is all there is of me. Then suddenly it feels as if the walls of that room melt away, or a door opens, and there I am stretching away forever. My mind, and what I can know, has no boundaries. If I think about a question, whatever it is, I have the most amazing response and insight, as if I have lived throughout all history. I feel as If I am part of a huge and unlimited sea of mind or consciousness. In it is all that has ever existed, merged and yet distinct. Every human talent and thought is in it alive and vital. At those times I know with an unshakeable surety that we cannot help but be a part of this immense life. Yet at the same time we can be at odds with it, be unsympathetic to it. This causes a condition of stress within us, and within our relationship with it. But I feel that if we completely accept our place in this being, even though one is a minute and seemingly insignificant part of it, then we are aligned with its huge universal life and purpose. Then we become revivified in some way."

Tony

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:39:22 PM by Tony Crisp »