Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grilled cats  (Read 2310 times)

Joseph101

• View Profile
Grilled cats
« on: August 04, 2021, 04:19:30 PM »
I usually feel pretty good about interpreting my own dreams but this one has me puzzled and a bit disturbed. Help would be appreciated.
I dreamt I was walking around to the back of my childhood house and saw that someone had grilled a cat. It wasn’t quite dead. The white stripes on the tail stood out prominently to me and I feared it was my cat. I wouldn’t let it be cat so after rationalizing it away I felt better but was still concerned that I needed to do something to put the cat out of it’s misery. I didn’t want to even though I knew it would be a mercy. I went to get someone or something to do it with and when I came back there was what appeared to be another cat, bigger and fully dead. It looked like a sleeping cat charred black. I woke up just as I was wondering why whoever roasted it hadn’t eaten it before leaving.
After journaling and considering some suggested meanings, all that came to me is this could possibly be related to the feelings I’ve been having towards a friend who used to be a romantic relationship. I’m annoyed that he seems to be pining over the past even though he chose not to pursue anything more than friendship. I don’t understand why someone would pine over something they rejected and continue to reject. It seems like a weak connection but it’s all I came up with. I’d appreciate other possibilities/insights. Also, I don’t know if it’s useful but my mom died a few months ago and I have also felt “homeless” in a way since then. Thanks, J
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:48:46 AM by Joseph101 »

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Grilled cats
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
Joseph - After 60 years of dreaming, exploring mine and many other people's dreams, I see that dreams are meticulously careful about what they present. Also every image or scene is to represent something other than the obvious.

So the back of your childhood house is full of meaning. It usually represents the less publicly viewed and private area of your life. Where one can be more of oneself out of the public eye, or even keep it hidden.

Also it was your childhood house, Which often refers to feelings or incidents. sometimes traumatic, that occurred in your childhood years. Remember that a house nearly always refers to you, depicting your body and aspects of your personality. This becomes obvious if, having visited friend’s houses you judge their character by the condition of the house. See https://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/childrens-traumatic-fears/

Grilled cat - this may refer to the fact that humans have more than their human brain and have a separate reptile and mammal brain. See https://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/brain-levels-and-dream

But the cat is a mammal and can represent the mammal instinctive side if you, The functions of the Mammalian brain that exist within the Human ‘brain’, MacLean likened to the skills shown in mammals such as wild dogs and apes. Mammals show enormous awareness of bonding, caring for young, group activity, hierarchy and recognition of family and pack. This part of your human ‘brain’ integrates and refines the functions of the reptilian brain. It provides emotional range and intensity, and gives a greater complexity to what motivates or deters us. It is this greater awareness of how we relate to others, and the social structure in which we exist, along with a sense of what place in it we occupy, that enables us to modify and coordinate the impulses arising from the reptilian brain.

But of course it depends on what feelings you have about cats that decides what it means in your dream. Because it refers to your childhood I can't see it relating to feelings you been having towards a friend, unless it is a trauma you experienced, which could be likely, because everything in your dream is about you - even the cat, and they were burnt suggesting great pain that you wanted to put and end to.

Dreams try to present to us old painful memories, and childhood pain when faced by adults makes them repress such pain. If you want explore yourself you could use these - https://dreamhawk.com/dream-dictionary/getting-at-your-dreams-meaning/ and https://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/peer-dream-work/