Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One crazy dream  (Read 8397 times)

Eva

• View Profile
One crazy dream
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
Last week I had a dream that I was standing in a courtyard surrounded by walls.  Everything was covered with lush greenery.  I could see a door in the corner and I wanted to go through it very badly...I knew I wanted to go...just go through it because something better / bigger was on the other side.  Suddenly I looked and a black and white striped snake was floating toward me a face level.  I am TERRIFIED of snakes, but somehow I knew if I didn't kill the snake, I couldn't go through the door.  As the snake got closer, I noticed it had a face with feminine features...even long eye lashes (like I have, I might add).  I gathered my strength, reached out, put both hands around the snake just below its head, and strangled it to death.  It's head fell to one side, its eyes closed and it gasped its last breath.  Then, it turned completely white and I threw it to the ground.  I think at that point I woke up.  I don't remember anything about going through the door. 

This dream has stumped me for over a week.  I have a feeling it has extreme significance in my life, and I have been for a while sensing a big leap forward in personal growth.  I've been practicing yoga for 1 1/2 years and I am now going 5 days / week.

I would love your thoughts on this dream.  Many, many thanks!

Eva 

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: One crazy dream
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Eva – If you apply the ground rules to your dream – that every character, animal and thing in your dreams are usually yourself in some way, then it begins to make sense. Considering that you as a person have many, many parts to you, starting with your body, your awareness, you memories, the many shades of emotion, the instinctive drives, the mental factors, the unconscious functions, the spirit, and if you put them together in a drama, and each had a different image attached to it, you can get a feel for your dream.

So you are surrounded by natural growth supported by manmade structures. Even so it is limiting because you can see a door - a boundary; a barrier to change or growth; the passing from inside oneself to exterior life or vice versa.

Then the snake, an embodiment of your instinctive self, the poisonous or creative emotions that can drive or rule us. You have to kill it before you can get to something better/bigger. But as it gets nearer it transforms into a woman’s face. Pity you didn’t let it get right up to you – ground rule 12 In the world of dreams our most intimate fears and longings are given an exterior life of their own. 13 You cannot be killed in a dream. All you can experience is the anguish and perhaps fear of dying, but in dreams you cannot die. 14 In dreams, what ever moves away from you in our dreams is going out of your life; and whatever moves toward you is emerging into consciousness. – it would have then become fully known as yourself; the poisonous emotions you were fighting.

So it seems you have had a long struggle with yourself and have gained the strength maybe through the control of yoga to kill the beast that you are. We will have to wait and see whether this will free you and allow a wider sense of yourself. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/dream-yoga/

Blessing on your journey.

Tony

Eva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
Tony,

Thank you so much.  I read your entire post on dream yoga...fascinating.  I had determined that the snake was me and I've even come to have warm feelings for it.  I know it meant well.  I've struggled with something and I'm trying to decide how to do it.  Perhaps that's why the snake was black and white.  Decision time...no gray.  But the snake had a calm, peaceful, almost loving look on its face...so I think it is trying to tell me to go, grow, don't be afraid.

I'm going to do some of the exercises you listed to try and get a better understanding of what I'm trying to teach myself.

Your website is great and I will continue to study it as I learn more about meditation and letting go of the ego.  I have been "there" once, and it was the most amazing experience.

Thank you again for your time.

Eva

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Eva - Thank you for telling me about your realisations about your snake.

My favorite snake dream is as follows:

Last night I dreamt I was outdoors walking through open ground, maybe at times gardens. I was with others - not sure who, and we frequently came across large snakes which we reacted to as if they were venomous. Then I came across a lot of them and they swarmed onto me. I froze, terrified that if I made a move I would be fatally bitten. But they just swarmed over my body and got under my clothes without harming me. Gradually I relaxed and slowly began to move about with the snakes still on me. They started to feel like a built in defence system which would attack anyone who was aggressive to me. At one point several large and aggressive dogs walked past me. They turned as if thinking about attacking, then appeared to sense the snakes and ran off cowed. As time passed the snakes felt like part of my body.

As you say, "Decision time...no gray.  But the snake had a calm, peaceful, almost loving look on its face...so I think it is trying to tell me to go, grow, don't be afraid." So let the snake in. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/brain-levels-and-dreams/ as it as some intresting information about snakes.

Since reading what you said I realised there was a part of Dream Yoga I should have included. I have put it at the very end of the piece - "I have been there once". It can happen many times, and each one is wonderfully different.

Tony