Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Father and I had the same dream one night apart!  (Read 5101 times)

mbarbed

• View Profile
Father and I had the same dream one night apart!
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
My grandparents died several years ago and their house is in disrepair. I haven’t been there or dreamed of it in over 6 or 7 years. Three nights ago I dreamed that we were moving and I had a boa constrictor that I needed a box for so I went into my grandparents old house. There were squatters living there and they pulled a gun on me but eventually I eased their fears and they let me go, it even seems that it ended positively. Last night I was talking to my father and he told me of the dream he had the night before that disturbed him so much that he told his wife about it. He had gone into my grandparents house and strangers were living there and wouldn’t leave and started threatening him. It escalated and he ended up shooting 7 people. The police came but it was in self-defense so he wasn’t in trouble. He said it was very real, that he could feel the gun kick and watched the people fall. He hasn’t dreamed of their house since they died either.  We even dreamed of them being in the same room even though it wasn't the main room of the house.  Is this just a coincidence?

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Father and I had the same dream one night apart!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
Mbarbed – In the beginning of last century, when psychiatrists were discovering new levels of the mind, it was realised that any close knit family shares a common unconscious mind. So it is common to share the same dream, although we often miss it because we are not telling our dreams every day.

As for the meaning of the dream, my feeling is that it was the snake that stimulated it – your inner potential of growth. You have been going through changes within you I would guess, and this has expanded your awareness to include your family’s unconscious. That was what led you to realise there were threatening elements there, but you calmed them down and turned it into a positive ending.

Your father however was frightened of finding these strange elements inside him and shot them. That was his reaction to the dream images – and remember that dreams, even when we dream vividly of another person, such as the man in our life, the dream personality is made up of our own impressions, hopes and feelings. Also because of this, dreams are a magic mirror of ourselves. They reflect not only what is happening on the surface of our lives, but also the process of our deep-down growth and change, and the shrewd insights we have into other people, work and our own behaviour.

That was why your father’s dream, although similar, ended differently.

Tony