Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Expansion of Consciousness  (Read 9298 times)

Rain_Dancer

• View Profile
Expansion of Consciousness
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
This is more for sharing than interpretation...

It's a fragment of a dream from a few weeks ago.

I was lucid, and walking through a house, and had the idea to look for a door to open.

I turned and saw a huge golden door, it had a sheen as if it was made of solid gold (shimmering, not shiny). 
Characters were imprinted on it in columns from top to bottom that made me think "heiroglyphics".
I paused before the door, and said, "By opening this door I am expanding my consciousness!" then push the door open.  It swings open away from me, and behind it is another door, hinged on the opposite side and also seemingly made of gold with characters on it.  I repeat the process..."by opening this door I am expanding my consciousness!"

I see behind that door is a dark stone corridor, ancient.  I knew that there were a million more doors behind this one and that I could go on forever, but for now this was enough.  I step back, satisfied.  I then see another set of doors, more ordinary, double-closet doors.  Again, I stand before the doors and say, “by opening these doors I am expanding my consciousness!”, then open the doors.  I see a light inside, and some ordinary items like sports equipment.  (End of scene)

For several years I experimented and was quite involved with the psychedelic scene, in the name of “consciousness expansion”.  Since this dream I experienced the realization that simply asking questions and being honest about what I’m feeling or thinking  is ‘raising’ or ‘expanding’ consciousness.  Many many times in the past few weeks I have asked questions that in the past, I would not have dared ask.  Even simple questions…and every time I would ask the question, I would feel lighter, as if I had unconsciously  been stewing in my own circular thoughts -  this feels like illumination or enlightenment. 

I truly believe that opening the doors in my dream has opened my mind even more than before.  It’s hard to say whether it was the catalyst, because no action really stands alone and I believe we are all programmed to rise or expand in consciousness, but it was certainly an interesting experience!

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Expansion of Consciousness
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Hi Rain_Dancer – Thanks for that.

But opening doors to expanded consciousness usually bring with it a rush of new insights that are very concrete. Please share them with us.

Tony

Rain_Dancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
I’d say that realizing that expansion of consciousness can happen by simply asking a question is a pretty significant insight.  I feel like a child in some ways now – I was with friends yesterday and asking so many questions, repeating back what they said to me, wanting to be sure I really understood what was being said to me instead of my mind just sort of half-tracking what was being said and nodding and not really getting it.
I’m also realizing how far I’ve managed to get through life without really understanding what the heck is going on around me or what people are actually saying.  In the past few weeks I have felt more at ease asking for something to be explained to me more than once.  I noticed how terrified I was that certain people might even look at me disapprovingly, and at work I would sit in my office, stewing in anxiety trying desperately to remember or sort it out or risk the consequences of guessing what I was supposed to do rather than ask.

An insight I had this morning, as a consequence of questioning a friend of mine about her perspective, also illuminated a recent dream.  ***I realized the way my mind has been sorting information is through a true/false filter.  If something registers as a lie, my mind immediately would go into defense/combat mode.  So much so that I couldn’t even get through reading an article to a friend of mine yesterday, and when inquiring into my reaction, I asked myself if I “needed” to be right, and found a very tender part of myself, some sadness, and tears, leaving me feeling raw for a while.  I also noticed later that after eating healthy, whole, raw foods during the early part of the day, when alone I reverted to sugary comfort food.  I interpret this as a period of contraction after expansion.

I also noticed about myself that my curiosity has been tinged with pain, so often asking people about their experience has had a mixed impulse of invitation/interrogation.

On a long drive yesterday, I decided to have a conversation with my car.  My experiences with psychedelics have taught me that all is alive, even space, so I figured, why not?  I practiced saying things out loud that were running around in my head, and, out loud, they lost their power and I could see more of where I have been fantasizing not present to reality.  I also practiced, a la Law of Attraction, speaking as if life were already the way I wanted it to be, as if I were already in a place of satisfaction, ease, grace, fulfillment, intimacy and joy…leading into an interesting dream last night.

I dreamed that my son’s father (who is deceased) was sitting in front of me.  His back is to me, and I am standing behind him with my arms wrapped around his shoulders.  We are watching scenes on an old console TV.  The drama is of lovers fighting and hurting and killing each other.  There is a shift as I watch this, a realization that I am controlling this with my mind and in a way that was finer and more subtle than trying to mentally control reality the way I have in the past, I (perhaps we) shift the drama to one of lovers playing and frolicking with an air of innocence and comraderie.  It’s not as if I am dictating the details, I am simply doing it and aware that I am, and feel relief from an inner tension.

***This insight came today - after pondering my experience of interactions with friends yesterday, I thought of a dream where I entered a meeting of an "inter(inner?!)galactic council", and a woman presented me with a clear glass bowl overflowing with small red tickets, which read either "TRUE" or "FALSE", and I finally understood the message of that part of the dream.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:33:06 PM by Rain_Dancer »

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
hi, golden doors in Hindu mythology represent the doors to Vaikunta or the abode of MahaVishnu in the milky way. Interesting dream. have a nice day.

Rain_Dancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
Thank you for that perspective, Deepa.
In the dream the doors had a distinctly Egyptian feel, and as I awoke I noticed a stream of images, thoughts and feelings related to the goddess Nephthys, the twin sister of Isis.

In 2008, I experienced 2 dreams that started me on the path of dreamwork, each having Egyptian overtones:

In the first one I was taken to an Eygptian temple by an invisible being “to remind you how powerful you really are”, and in the second I became lucid while lying naked on a stone slab altar with a white-robed bird-headed being hovered next to me, who waited patiently for me to be stop struggling and be still, then placed a brilliant orb in my head that seemed like a miniature sun.  Light poured out through my whole being and filled my vision.  What struck me most was how impersonal the being was, and now that I ponder on it more, I can think of the being as symbolizing BEING, which is utterly impersonal, and stands by simply observing until I become lucid,  settle down and receive the gift of light.

Also now that I remember the content of the first dream, I find that it is relevant to something I have been thinking about today, about bad habits and poisoning myself and why do I go back to that after periods of eating well.

In the dream I was complacently entering an insane asylum, when the being brought me out and to the temple.  I was giddy and flew in circles and remembered, "Oh, I'm a goddess!"
Then I looked over the edge of the temple floor and back down at the insane asylum, and thought, "Well, I guess it's time to go back," and drifted back down and wandered through a few rooms where people were torturing some of the patients.  I think it's time to revisit that dream.

Interesting ...thank you again, Deepa.

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
Thanks - I haven't got time to say more. I can't keep up with the flow.
getting old I think - or maybe I just love to wander off.

Tony :-)

Rain_Dancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Well, you asked about the flood and you got it :D

A recent fragment that I'm fond of:  as I awakened the last line from the dream reverberated through my head, "The truth is, you are not helpless anymore."

and last night, a fragment of thinking repeatedly in a dream, 'well, if I'm really honest with myself then..."

Yesterday during dream theater I played around a bit with constellating (a la Burt Hellinger and Virginia Satir if you are familiar).  Instead of acting out the characters, I had people simply stand in the place of the character and notice what they noticed, then directed them to move to a more comfortable place in the room to relieve the tension between the characters.  It was so fun!  One woman played a lifeless doll in her dream, and as the other aspect moved to where she preferred to be in the room, the doll came alive and danced and became very animated and relaxed.  Even standing on the side witnessing, I could feel the relief and the spark of life.  Fun stuff!

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
Hi Rain_Dancer – I have never tried Dream Theater, though I have been involved with Psycho Drama, which is very similar.

I did used to imagine myself in someone else’s dream while I worked as a therapist. Then I got the subject to act out a scene that I had felt was appropriate. It was sometimes amazing.

Flood away. The truth is that you are not helpless. That is the truth!!!

Here is a woman's dream of being raped.

"‘I tried to turn but my legs were like lead. The man caught me and I fought. He tried to rape me but couldn’t do it. As I talked to him I began to feel sorry for him and not frightened. I realised that inside he was a nice person. In the end I found I liked him so much I began to kiss him myself.’ Mrs J.B"

Tony

Rain_Dancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Last night I dreamed a black troll demon was running away with my baby.

I sprang into action, chasing after it and ZAPPED with an energy bolt at the same time commanding, "I BLESS YOU!" It stopped and instantly turned into a beautiful creature, laughing and giggling.

Suddenly I was surrounded by a host of demons all closing in on me, and a song erupted from my being, my knowing and my voice powerful, strong, commanding and clear, "BLESS you, bless you, you are my *SISTERS* and I BLESS you!" and they all transformed into beautiful beings and we dissolved into laughter together ♥

After waking from this dream I was overcome with a temporary sense of unshakable joy, trust, unity, well-being.  All is right with the world, all is well.  Today I have alternated between bubbling over with joy and laughter and tears, and being in intense physical pain and feeling constricted, which I think is probably natural given how open and pure I felt in the dream, it stirred up the dross.

Thank you so much for paving the way, Tony, I feel your presence so often when I work with my dreams and I find it comforting.