Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Death and Names  (Read 4556 times)

Ketsuekiame

• View Profile
Death and Names
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
A friend dreamt that they and I were sat next to an incredibly old building covered in gargoyles (shapeless). Death came to them and told them I was already dead and had been cremated many years ago. He also said that my name was in fact, not my name, but, Brian Stevens. I ran away crying whilst they chased Death away shouting that my name always was and will be <my current name>.

What could this represent? I am struggling to piece together the multiple symbology here.

My own interpretation is that this person is struggling internally with how they view me and are unsure about how to proceed. They are keeping certain thoughts or feelings concerning me to themselves and perhaps they are worried about my reaction and their own self image?

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Death and Names
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
Ketsuekiame – It would have helped to know whether you are male or female. Also it doesn’t help that this is someone else’s dream. Their words and style of writing is a part of understanding a dream. But here goes.

The old building is a powerful influence from their past. It dominates what follows in the dream. The gargoyles are things from their past, fears they have that they haven’t faced up to and say are a part of a shapeless haunting feeling. That leads to a preoccupation with death - what is it; will it come for me; I am afraid.

Then he uses your image in his dream as a way of escaping death – because it is you that has died so he has, temporally escaped. The change of name I would like to know the dreamer’s relationship with the Brian Stevens, without which it is simply a change in the game of death.

In a way you in his dream has nothing to do with you. A dream is a wonderful virtual reality in which we use the image of other people to play with our own preoccupations. As I wrote in another place - So your dream was a game in which you wanted to experience death. But of course it could have been anything you imagined it to be. As Dunne says in his book Experiment with Time – “The whole range of composition lies before you, and this with an instrument, the keyboard of which is a lifetime of human experience of every description. Do not fear or shirk the experience. The more varied it is, the finer becomes your instrument, and the richer the possible effects.”

In other words the more varied, the deeper or higher you can experience life, the further you reach into understanding what you are, the greater will be your creations in your inner life. And death will no longer be a mystery. We reproduce in dreams the limits or the wonder of our own life experience. So your own dream would have been much better. Perhaps you are looking to the other dreamer for your own understanding.

Tony