Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will  (Read 8807 times)

Christine

• View Profile
Will
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
Tony,

I was looking on your site for something about free will and how it may be influenced by dreams.  Well, maybe not "free," but will anyway.  Is there something you can point me to or comment about?

Thanks,

Chris

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Will
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
Chris – There isn’t much I have written about will, free or otherwise – although I have met it in various ways. I think I ought to get my thoughts in order about it sometime.  But here are a couple of things. Sometimes I feel like we are in a corridor with infinite length, and we have infinite free will as long as we do not try to get through the walls, but just run along the corridor.
Here is a piece quoted from Touching Your Core Self.

It has been stressed that there are two wills at work within you. This is not a new idea. Many ancient thinkers and writers have expressed it in one way or another. For instance, Jakob Boehme who lived between 1575 and 1624 wrote that:

Thou must consider that there are in thy Soul two Wills, an inferiour Will, which is for driving thee to Things without and below; and a superiour Will, which is for drawing to Things within and above. These two Wills are now set together, as it were, Back to Back, and in a direct Contrariety to each other; but in the Beginning, it was not so. (See: Jacob Behmen) It has to be remembered that early philosophers and thinkers saw the Core as divine, and what it willed as being the will of God. For that reason Saint Augustine wrote that:

The new will which I began to have was not yet strong enough to overcome that other will, strengthened by long indulgence. So these two wills, one old, one new, one carnal, the other spiritual, contended with each other and disturbed my soul.

But there is something I wrote recently. It is from http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/what-we-need-to-remember-about-dreaming/#TwoPowers:

1.   In life and sleep we have two powerful actions working in us. The first is our waking experience based on having a body, its limitations, vulnerabilities and a particular gender. Our second is the power that gave us life and continues to express as dreams.
2.   While we sleep our conscious self is largely or totally unconscious, and while we dream our voluntary muscles are paralysed – therefore another will or motivating force moves our body. So we have a Conscious Will, and what I will call a Life Will. The first one we have experience of as we can move our arm or speak in everyday activities; but the second will takes over when we sleep. See Sleep Paralysis
3.   This Life will can move us to speak, to move our body, and in fact do things that we cannot do with our Conscious Will. As Freud pointed out this inner will has full access to our memories. It can do so many other things that are described else where – See ESP in Dreams; Edgar Cayce and the Cosmic Mind.
4.   This Life Will or motivator has been active for millions of years and we see it working all the time in animals. We are partly split in half because we are often opposed to what our Life Will in us wants. So the only way to express what is good for us is in dreams when our conscious will is largely passive. For many people this may frighten them that an apparently different or alien will is moving them, and at first it may lead us to do things that can scare us, but as we move forward this becomes an easy transition.
5.   Life Will created your body and pre-existed you as a person you know today. It was working in you prior to your ability to speak or know in the way you do now. But of course it has fantastic wisdom and skills, as can be seen in animals. This may be why so many animals dream are frightening – we lack conscious control.
Tony