Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Watching actions in a dream from a distance  (Read 8543 times)

starry

• View Profile
Watching actions in a dream from a distance
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »
As the subject ask what does it mean if you're watching the action of your dream from a distance, being an observer rather then an active participant? I tried looked through the site but couldn't find the answer myself

thanks!

Tony Crisp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Dreamhawk.com
Re: Watching actions in a dream from a distance
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
Starry – An interesting question, and one difficult to find an answer to. But I think you will find some information under http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/identity-and-dreams/

But here is an extract from it. In dreams, our sense of self - our ego, our personality or identity - is depicted by our own body, or sometimes simply by the sense of our own existence as an observer. In most dreams our ‘I’ goes through a series of experiences just as we do in waking life, seeing things through our physical eyes, touching with our hands, and so on. But occasionally we watch our own body and other people as if from a detached point of bodiless awareness. If we accept that dreams portray in images our conception of self, then dreams suggest that our identity is largely built upon out sense of having a body, its gender, health, quality, skin colour, the social position we are born into, and our relationship with others. In fact we know that if a person loses their legs, becomes paralysed, loses childbearing ability, becomes blind or is made redundant, they face an identity crisis. Yet despite all of that they still exist as a person, and if we realise that early we can avoid all the pain and distress caused by a complete identification with our body.

But the bodiless experience of self shows the human possibility of sensing self as having separate existence from the biological processes, from ones body, ones state of health, and social standing. In its most naked form, the ‘I’ may be simply a sense of its own existence, without body awareness. That is contact with our Self - our Core Self or Spirit.

So your dream suggest you are developing the ability, maybe even through anxiety, to become an independent watcher, and so not so identified with emotions and thoughts.

Tony