Transformation2

Dream Dictionary

Dream Dictionary

Online Dream Dictionary & Encyclopedia

by Tony Crisp

The latest edition of the Dream Dictionary, the result of some fifty years experience of working with dreams and their interpretation. The Dream Dictionary which encompassing articles on a vast range of topics. This gives the reader an unparalleled insight into the study of dreams and the inner life. But there are an enormous amount of Features that cover a range of topics about dreams and the inner life.

The aim of the Dream Dictionary is to help you make connections between your dreams and your everyday life; to discover more fully the powerful emotions and reactions that unconsciously direct your decisions and responses in waking. This is not an attempt to give you merely ideas to play with, to agree or disagree with, like fortune telling. It can lead to real insights which empower you to make more of yourself, and find your way through the many decisions with which life confronts you.

Learn how to Interpret Your Dream

I know how much you might like to skip the Introduction to Dream Dictionary, and if you are tempted to do so, I wholeheartedly ask you to read Summing Up. Without understanding the things given there you are likely to completely miss the point of understanding your dreams.

You can start using the Dream Dictionary by entering a dream image into the Search box below and clicking the search symbol – or you can read some fuller information below about the dictionary and how best to use it.

Search :

Your dreams can become vortexes of power to transform your life, and to enhance your perceptions. There is no ‘wave a magic wand’ route to this. It will not happen because you read a great book, or look at a good dream dictionary. Those things might help, but the real magic lies in whether you can enter into your dream in the right way. (Try using Meaning of Your Dream).

What does my dream mean? – How to explore your dream meanings

It is important in reading the definitions of dream images to realise that not every possible meaning can be covered. So please see if you get the idea of what is being said and allow your own imagination/feelings to fill in the meaning.

There are several ways you can understand the meanings held in your dreams, and there are several levels. The first is an easily understood level, followed by greater depths:

1. You can enter a key word in the search box above. The Dream Dictionary contains interpretations on almost any type of dream subject. So if you dreamt of a flying saucer landing in a field, and aliens getting out and taking a baby, a snake, and a pregnant dog back into the saucer, you could search separately for each of these subjects in the Dream Dictionary. Find the entry for flying saucer; then the entry for dog, baby, snake,  pregnant, and so on. For each entry, find further related entries by looking under ‘Similar Articles’ on the right hand side of the page. Then see Techniques for Exploring your Dreams.
  2. Each entry gives the general meaning of the dream subject, just as an encyclopedia or dictionary does for a word. Several possible meanings are given. This is because as with our speech the position of the word – the context – gives it special meanings. So a hot dog would be quite different to a black dog, dog-end or dead dog. Therefore, when you read an entry which has several different meanings, sometimes with a ‘;’ between, it simply means any one of them could apply, which means you need to think about the feelings in your dream, the context, the other imagery used. Please do not fall into the trap that one reviewer made of saying that the whole dictionary is about sex. Of course sex is one meaning among many others. So use your own sense of your dream as well as any definitions given.
  3. To really explore the meaning it is useful to use the Dream Dictionary as it is designed, rather than arrive at a ‘thought out’ interpretation. To see a working example of this see Dream Interpretation Example One.

Forest-A

Useful Links

Introduction to Using the Dream Dictionary

Using The Dictionary

The Discovery of Dreams – Things We Need to Remember About Us

Gaining Insight Into Your Dreams

Acknowledgement to this Edition

The Next Step – Criticisms

A Master Course in Exploring Your Dreams (‘Your Guru the Dream’)

Features Found on Site: this is a full list of the topics covered by the Dream Encyclopedia (not a list of dream dictionary words). The site has enormous resources – you can search for so many things, from abortion, the house in your dream to sex and death – simply by putting the search words in the Search box.

Forest-A

Personal Dream Interpretation

I also offer a personal dream interpretation service. You can access this by putting a full explanation of your dream in the Forum Section – Forum.

Note: comments that have any adverts or links to other sites will be deleted.

It is important to give a full account of your dream - see Give Us Enough Information.

If you find it difficult to express well in English, write your dream out in the language you are fluent in and put the result into Google Translate. Translate it into English and send the result. You can then translate any response back into your own language.

Please note, I am mainly alone in working on your dreams, and it takes time so I cannot always keep up with the number of requests posted by readers. I am also in the process of revising the Dictionary – a long business – so please look at the dozens of replies in the pages of The Forum, hopefully you will find something helpful.

In the meantime, here is a way to work out your own dream – Getting at Your Dream’s Meaning.

Please note: this a not-for-profit site and it offers real dream interpretations, not dream dictionary features that are not real interpretations. We ask no payment for these interpretations, but it would be a great help if you Liked our Facebook page and and other links, if you would like to support what we do.

Forest-A

A Note About the Author: Tony Crisp

I have been interested in the health of mind and body since my early teens. I began writing about these subjects in 1956. My fascination for what lay under the surface of the mind led me personally to explore the unconscious using dreams and other mental and physical disciplines. From 1972 – 94 I worked as a psychotherapist using an eclectic, Humanistic Psychology approach which included dream work and releasing the secrets the body holds. My books include Do You Dream; Mind and MovementThe Instant Dream Book; Life’s Little Secrets and Liberating The Body and many more. See My Books.

During those years I worked as a dream columnist for The Daily Mail and She Magazine. I was the regular dream interpreter for the London Broadcasting Company; I ran Teletext’s dream page on UK television’s Channel Four; and also for New Zealand Teletext, and now I run this website giving dream help as well as many features on subjects connected with the human inner world.

Throughout more than five decades I have been involved in a personal search for the secrets of mind and spirit. In those years I have also taught thousands of people techniques of deep relaxation, meditation, and methods of self exploration using dreams. Wanting to dig deep I explored the use of dreams and taught individuals and groups of people how to use these visions of the night to discover and heal the deepest issues in themselves, and to touch the high ground of their spiritual awareness. I worked for twenty years as a psychotherapist using several approaches, one of which was a way of honouring the body as a doorway to the unconscious mind, the emotions and spiritual experience. See The LifeStream.

During the sixty years of seeking the wild wondrous beasts of the mind and spirit I dared my own inner adventure. But I also travelled with other people as an ordinary person, not a therapist, sharing their experience of fear and wonder as they unveiled and set loose their fountain of perception. I have travelled countless dream pathways, traversed the timeless with those using awareness enhancing drugs, and wrestled with the vitality of the body as people mimed and shouted their deepest intuitions through movement, dance and voice.

Forest-A

Comments

-Scared 2016-12-07 4:12:31

Always being have weird dreams its scares me sometimes, due to it becomes true the next day or week.in the early hours of this morning I had a dream where I was by casino hotel where I was staying but then I felt uncomfortable because people where steal my phone but I got it back so in album the events that happened I was best friends with one of my ex friend whom we no longer get along with, she kept on laughing loudly when I said housekeeping, but yet again I still insisted to leave but before I got leave I had to fetch my suitcase but then my suitcase was apparently by a other room in the hotel, well this other gentlemen took me there as I walk in the room I saw a lady whom I am not friends with but know her sitting on the bed.under the covers handing me.my identity book splattered with her blood, but according too me the identity book was old an falling apart.so I was very disappointed an showed anger towards her as I took the book an it.fell on the floor

-Connie Landress 2016-12-14 14:34:30

Meeting a priest at a church. Upon arrival,the Pope offers to show me the way. Entering the church I see the priest who is female. She is standing behind an extra long piano. I am there to receive a blessing from the priest. The piano begins to play on its own and the priest begins to sing. She sings loudly and with feeling. She is interrupted when someone enters through a door in a balcony type section above where we are standing. The priest says something to the person or persons and then proceeds to walk up to where this person is. A feeling I had was that the person was the priest’s daughter. 14-15 years old. The dream ended there. The tone of the dream was casual,calm, pleasing. I identified the Pope by his attire. He was friendly, helpful. This church had a couple of similarities to the church I was raised in. It was built on an elevated piece of land, raised above the surrounding structures. Large parking lot. It was in this parking lot the Pope offered to show me where I was to meet the priest. Thank you for your time.

-Vanessa 2016-12-15 15:37:41

I had a dream a couple days ago. I don’t remember all the details quite well, but a part of it has stuck with me over the past days.

I dreamt that I was standing in this white void room. It was almost like there were no walls and just an endless continuation of white with no shadows or anything else. I looked at my body and noticed that I had small rectangular strips of thick wooly hair growing around an inch on my legs, calves, shoulders, and arms. I started pulling and messing with them and then I realized that these patches were stuck to skin. I had clean shaven legs so these thick clusters of hair stood out to me. I started to gently pull them off. I woke up a little weirded out and checked my legs.

-Grace KOHN 2016-12-23 17:30:04

Thank you so much for all this wonder filled information Tony !! Merriest of Christmases to you

-Tony Crisp 2016-12-26 11:15:45

Thank you so much Grace. You brought more light into my Christmas.

Tony

-Melanie 2016-12-28 16:38:22

I dream a very large spider the size of a lobster was spinning a web at me and i ran it persued me and than i called out for my husband heseen it and tried killing it but it got more stronger spinning its web all over me and the room i ran i got away

-Stephanie 2016-12-30 4:27:50

I keep having variations of the same dream. (I’m a newly wed who was abused in my 1st marriage) In my dreams, my husband gets extremely angry and something that is unknown and hits me. My husband is hot tempered but I know he’d never hit me, in real life. So he hits me and I run away and hide. Next thing I know we are getting divorced and my life is falling apart. He purposefully parades new women around and refuses to believe hitting me was wrong. Even though, in real life once he’s calm he’s totally reasonable and would admit that. I wake up angry with my sweet loving husband, who didn’t really do anything, bc I’m a vivid dreamer and everything I dream always feels real. I’m afraid this will begin to affect my new marriage., if I don’t figure it out soon. I feel bad for this.

-Miss Bruge 2017-01-02 4:18:04

First, would like to wish you a happy new year and long healthy life to you and your family.
When I was 7 years old, had been traumatized by my mother showing me and saying that if she was bleeding it was because us kids were bad and not quiet. Then I ´d always have the dream of my self drive this red race car shifting gears and winning the race, seeing that black and white flag at the arrival.Dream was recurrent for years.Moved out at 23, and my dreams made non-sense afterwards for years. Mother upset of loosing scapegoat daughter that I was to her, father and 3 brothers!!! Just found out last year what was a narcissistic personality disorder and now into a healing process, since. Doing great and relieved. Fought family and people all my life to keep my own identity, preferences, sanity, etc. I’m 55 years old and still standing up for myself. Exhausting! Rarely have strange dreams, glad about that.
Thank you so much for your work on dreams, etc.

-Skyla 2017-01-03 19:29:40

Hi Tony my name is skyla and last night I had 3 bad dreams after another everytime I woke up which is very unusual for me. The first dream was about my house burning down and the death of my two animals. The second was of a past relationship where my ex tried to kidnap me and held me at gunpoint. Third one my fiance leaves me in a store on my own while he’s with his friends and no matter how hard I try I cannot get out of the store and this wind of gravity is pushing me around preventing me from getting out.
What does this mean?

-Michelle 2017-01-09 5:44:31

I’ve been having a similar dream since I was a child. Over the past couple of years, the intervals between the dreams have increased. In all the dreams fireballs are falling from the sky destroying buildings, setting homes and trees on fire and killing a lot of people. The massive fireballs are happening in various places at the same time causing tsunamis, floods, fire, and destruction. I see people running and screaming but my only thought is, “where are my children?” In one of my dreams I saw two young women on a pier overlooking the water. There was an elderly couple sitting on a bench enjoying the day. The one girl senses something isn’t right with the ocean and urges her friend to run away from the pier with her. Her friend refuses and laughs at her. The water recedes just prior to the large wave hits the pier. The one girl is screaming to the elderly couple and to everyone she passes to run to higher ground. People just stare at her but she doesn’t stop. She keeps going and almost went to her car but a voice in her head told her to keep going, so she does. The wave has rushed ashore and though she doesn’t see the pier is now engulfed and the people who was behind her are now gone, she keeps running. By now, other people are running too. There is a big hill to her left with a pathway leading to it so she gets to the top. The bridge that leads off the island is now destroyed and the cars that were on it are swept over. She keeps going and the voice in her head tells her, “don’t stop.” I forgot to mention that as she was running these things like bombs are going off and someone screamed “they’re firing misles at us.” It wasn’t misles, it was balls of fire. I usually dream in first person but that one dream wasn’t. In another related dream I see the aftermath of the destruction. People are walking toward a common destination and everyone is dirty and tired. Many people didn’t survive and the ones that did are looking for a safe place to go. The last dream I had there was ashes everywhere and the trees were burned up. There was a conveyer belt with bodies wrapped in black plastic going up dumping the bodies in a mass grave. I said to someone, “I thought Trump getting elected was going to prevent this from happening.” In all the dreams, the central theme is a diaster is going to hit causing mass casualties and appears to be the end of the world but it’s not. Many people are going to die and the life the survivors live will never be the same, but there will be survivors.

-Jamie Larkin 2017-01-18 2:34:41

I had this dream when I was asleep on the love seat.
I watched a full size lion walk in the apartment. I could see a being of Light on the love seat. The Lion alec walked up and lay on the love seat. I then walked up to the lion put my hand on the side of its massive head. I closed my eyes and touched my forehead to his. I could feel the steel hardness of its head the short, course hair and then I could feel it’s eyelashes go from the bottom to the top of my palm as it opened its eyes.
Then I had the stark realization that I was tete a tete with a lion. I did my best to remind myself to stay calm and not be afraid, to embrace it.

-Rele 2017-01-20 4:17:44

I had a dream being with my church members going to church. On our arrival to taxi rank, I decided no to go to church any longer it was muddy and my shoes were courvered with mud. The taxi came and took them. But afterwards, i decided that the mud can not be the reason for not going to church. Then i got taxi and go to church following my church members. Would like to get interpretation please

-Tony Crisp 2017-01-20 10:23:18

So, most of what I put in answers is my attempt at explain what dreams are really about. It would help you to understand your dreams, if you would read – http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/questions-2/#Summing

Tony

-Mary Whitaker 2017-01-22 13:13:59

Had a really bad nightmare… I was being executed and had one day left with mY 17 year old daughter. I was telling her and we were planning my last day. I was hoping that I was wrong but found out that I was sentenced to death. I wasn’t being held for the couple of days before she and I were driving the night before my last day and I was telling her how amazing she is and that she will be ok. It was so real… I was sick to my stomach realizing I was dying. I was asking her if she wanted to go to Disney since those are the best times she remembers as a kid. I woke up suddenly literally dripping in sweat :( had to go check on her. What does this mean? Am I going to die?

-Tony Crisp 2017-01-23 9:41:55

Hi – I am going to halt from answering your posts – the reason is that in so many of your post I give the same information to. That is because most posts do not realise the difference between dreaming and waking life. It makes a great difference.

So, most of what I put in answers is my attempt at explaining what dreams are really about. It would help you to understand your dreams, if you would read – http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/questions-2/#Summing it would help me, and hopefully you too.

Tony

Mary, we are all going to die, but often our dreams get us to die in the virtual reality that dreams are so you carry on with ordinary life. In the end there is no death, except of the body. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/dimensions-of-human-experience/

-Lisa A Copeland 2017-01-23 12:40:02

I dreamed that my boyfriend of 8 years, buys us a new house. Except this house is old Victorian which is so me. However it is not with acreage like we would want. Has all previous owner furnishings, and needs many repairs. It is quite large, 9 bedroom. This would be so uncharacteristic of him, he ways every angle before considering a big decision.

-Tony Crisp 2017-01-24 11:48:28

Tony

You are still mixing up waking life/boy friend with dream life BF. Many people do not realise that they have an inner husband equally as powerful as an external husband. You have taken in millions of bit of memory, lessons learnt, life experiences, along with all the feelings or problems met by loving and living with your husband, and they are what makes you the person you are. This is true even if your husband was never there for you – you still have all the memories of him not being there for you filed under ‘husband’. The memories and experience we gather unconsciously change us and are not lost. It is part of you and is symbolised in dreams as a person or event. Such an inner husband can appear in dreams because you are deeply influenced by what you hold within you.

-Whitney Borden 2017-01-25 20:27:42

Hello,

My name is Whitney Borden. I had a dream last night that woke me up out my sleep. This morning I began searching the internet for interpretations about the dreams which led me here. I was hoping I could get a meaning behind it. Thanks!

In my dream it was midday and I was looking out my window and noticed the sun peeking through the clouds. I rushed outside to get some sun. I figured I could stand outside for a few moments to some vitamin D from the sun since it was winter and I hadn’t got out much. So anyway the sun suddenly start coming from behind the clouds and I could see it in it’s entirety. I stepped off my porch to get more to sun and vitamin D. Then the sun starts moving at rapid pace around the sky. Also it appeared to have all the planets moving in a circular motion around it. At this point I am amazed and stunned by its beauty. I began to follow the sun away from my home. I see a familiar individual walking down my street. I stop her with excited and told her to look at the sun. She looked up and said “I know.” She didn’t seem as intrigued as I did. Then my son came outside and I showed him the sun as well. Suddenly a thick roll of heavy dark smoke appeared. It was coming towards us with heavy powerful wind. I screamed my sons name with my hand out trying to grab his hand so we could run it the house. I immediately woke up after that.

-Tony Crisp 2017-01-26 10:36:58

Hi – I am going to halt from answering your posts – the reason is that in so many of your post I give the same information to. This is because most people do not understand the difference between dreaming and waking life. Also I need to take time to update the site – dreamhawk.

Tony

I am not talking about the pitiful space craft we have built so far, so small, and slow, but the one we are on now – our amazing Earth – which travels around our sun at the speed, I am told, of 140 miles per second, which if my calculator is right is 504,000 mph. As Adlai Stevenson said in 1965, “We travel together, passengers on a little space ship, dependent on its vulnerable reserves of air and soil; all committed for our safety to its security and peace; preserved from annihilation only by the care, the work, and, I will say, the love we give our fragile craft. We cannot maintain it half fortunate, half miserable, half confident, half despairing, half slave—to the ancient enemies of man—half free in a liberation of resources undreamed of until this day. No craft, no crew can travel safely with such vast contradictions. On their resolution depends the survival of us all.”

An amazing dream showing how you are becoming more aware of your contact with the universe you are part of. See http://dreamhawk.com/inner-life/the-unconscious-2/ and http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/opening-to-life/

-Yashi Singh 2017-02-04 2:41:11

Hello…Tony …today I saw a dream …where at the corner of my aunt’s house there was a placed statue of Lord Krishna meditating….. Very beautiful idol …and I just God my eye on it and internally I admired the beauty …please tell me what my dream means

-Tony Crisp 2017-02-05 13:23:26

Hi – I am stopping from answering your posts fully – but will try to give hints; sometimes long ones because I quote from masses I have already put online. Also I need to take time to update the site – dreamhawk.

It would help you to understand your dreams, if you would read – http://dreamhawk.com/approaches-to-being/questions-2/#Summing also http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/features-found-on-site/

Nothing can replace your own ability to understand your dream. With a little effort you can do it by practicing what is described in – http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/acting-on-your-dream/#BeingPersonOrThing

Tony

It says that you have awoken a connection with Krishna in you. it is a universal consciousness which is a part of every person, whatever their beliefs. To become aware of it we must somehow have broken our heart and self so be aware of such a huge awareness.

Often overlooked in this influence is the power to look at oneself and life very clearly, very honestly, without hiding behind excuses or self deceptions. Perhaps more than anything else though, Krishna is a cultural image depicting the power of our own highest possibilities. It is the outreach to us of collective human love. See Each of us are constantly gathering information about who we are, what we are capable of and what the meaning of our life is. This is often put into an archetypal form as the great quest, or the great pilgrimage. For many it is expressed as the search for God, or the often extraordinary efforts people make to grow beyond the pain of childhood or adult trauma. In some it becomes the quest for knowledge when one truly tries to understand rather than simply remember facts. It is seen in artists attempts to go beyond themselves in creative acts; in the spiritual quest for the imperishable; the search for real love or even the way some people manage to transcend the limitations of their body. They are all aspects of this search for self. See http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/archetype-of-the-night-journey-the-search-for-self/